POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : UV mapping and POV : Re: UV mapping and POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV mapping and POV
From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 14 May 1998 15:02:46
Message: <1d90c6g.kwbf2e1u4w8ywN@dialup202-2-8.swipnet.se>
Nathan Kopp <nk8### [at] ltuedu> wrote:

> Yes, this would go far beyond the stuff that I did for the isosurface patch.
> The concept is to design a texture in 3D space and then take a slice along the
> XY plane and wrap it around the object's UV coordinates.

This reminds me of a feature I wanted a long time ago but haven't
implemented yet. Imagine you could set up a couple of controllpoints
in 3D space and use them to calculate virtual (3D) coordinate pairs to
use for the textures. The use of this would be mainly in animation
where you alter the shape (slightly) of an object that has a 3d function
texture (all textures in povray). With such controll points you would
see the marble skin (or something) on your nice dragon to change, but If
you use controll points that are placed on the surface of the object
(manually, or perhaps with a *smart* macro) both before and after the
movement, your object would (maybe) look better... well I'm not good
at explaining things - but perhaps you get the idea..

/ Mathias Broxvall