POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compiling POVRay with Mingw32 on Win95. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling POVRay with Mingw32 on Win95. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Alain CULOS
Subject: Compiling POVRay with Mingw32 on Win95.
Date: 10 May 1998 15:49:22
Message: <355604C2.D4CD8753@bigfoot.com>
Dear all,

I would appreciate people who compile on Windows95 have a look at that, all of you
could help me a bit on that one.

I try to use Mingw32 to compile, but you don't need to know about it to help me there.

In POV's code for windows (pvbitmap.c) there is a reference to LPBITMAPCOREHEADER.
I have no such thing in any of my windows header files, but I was wondering whether
you could give me the info from your own windows header files.

Also I have found something and that may be what I'm looking for, but I want to
confirm that before I do anything stupid. In my Structures.h file I have the following
:

==================================
typedef struct tagBITMAPCOREHEADER {
  DWORD   bcSize;
  WORD    bcWidth;
  WORD    bcHeight;
  WORD    bcPlanes;
  WORD    bcBitCount;
} BITMAPCOREHEADER;

typedef struct tagRGBTRIPLE {
  BYTE rgbtBlue;
  BYTE rgbtGreen;
  BYTE rgbtRed;
} RGBTRIPLE;

typedef struct _BITMAPCOREINFO {
  BITMAPCOREHEADER  bmciHeader;
  RGBTRIPLE         bmciColors[1];
} BITMAPCOREINFO, *PBITMAPCOREINFO, *LPBITMAPCOREINFO;

typedef struct tagBITMAPFILEHEADER {
  WORD    bfType;
  DWORD   bfSize;
  WORD    bfReserved1;
  WORD    bfReserved2;
  DWORD   bfOffBits;
} BITMAPFILEHEADER;

typedef struct tagBITMAPINFOHEADER {
  DWORD  biSize;
  LONG   biWidth;
  LONG   biHeight;
  WORD   biPlanes;
  WORD   biBitCount;
  DWORD  biCompression;
  DWORD  biSizeImage;
  LONG   biXPelsPerMeter;
  LONG   biYPelsPerMeter;
  DWORD  biClrUsed;
  DWORD  biClrImportant;
} BITMAPINFOHEADER, *LPBITMAPINFOHEADER, *PBITMAPINFO;

My guess is the answer to my question is that BITMAPCOREHEADER does the job.
Would anyone be able to confirm that ?

Many thanks to all who read so far,
any answers or pointers appreciated,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

Post a reply to this message

Alain CULOS <ZAl### [at] bigfootcom> wrote in article
<355604C2.D4CD8753@bigfoot.com>...
> In POV's code for windows (pvbitmap.c) there is a reference to
LPBITMAPCOREHEADER.
> I have no such thing in any of my windows header files, but I was
wondering whether you could give me the info from your own windows header
files.

> Also I have found something and that may be what I'm looking for, but I
want to confirm that before I do anything stupid. In my Structures.h file I
have the following :

> ==================================
> typedef struct tagBITMAPCOREHEADER {
>   DWORD   bcSize;
>   WORD    bcWidth;
>   WORD    bcHeight;
>   WORD    bcPlanes;
>   WORD    bcBitCount;
> } BITMAPCOREHEADER;

> My guess is the answer to my question is that BITMAPCOREHEADER does the
job.
> Would anyone be able to confirm that ?

	Almost, the LP prefix means it's a long pointer to a BITMAPCOREHEADER, so
just alter your Stuctures.h to read :

typedef struct tagBITMAPCOREHEADER {
  DWORD   bcSize;
  WORD    bcWidth;
  WORD    bcHeight;
  WORD    bcPlanes;
  WORD    bcBitCount;
} BITMAPCOREHEADER, far *LPBITMAPCOREHEADER;

	You don't actually need the 'far' in there if you're targeting 32-bit, but
it's safest just to have it in there anyway.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 11 May 1998 15:57:54
Message: <35575842.1BE9B850@bigfoot.com>
Hi Scott,

Thanks for that, Philippe Houdoin also gave me the answer to my problem (same as
yours) by email.
Now, I'm progessing further and discovering more symbols that are absent from my
standard headers.

Would anyone be kind enough to have a look at the following list :
HTCLOSE
HTMINBUTTON
HTMAXBUTTON

_MAX_EXT
NOTIFYICONDATA
NIF_MESSAGE
NIF_ICON
NIF_TIP
NIM_ADD
NIM_DELETE

I hope this is the end of the list. After that, I hope to be in a position to give
whoever will want it a Makefile and corrections to compile POV3.01 with Mingw32 (gcc
2.8.1).
This C/C++ compiler comes free, so I thought it was a good idea to use it for POV-Ray.

Cheers,
Al.

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 16 May 1998 17:31:57
Message: <355E05CD.55C6B626@bigfoot.com>
Thanks to Philippe Houdoin again.I really hope this once is the last one for my
headers, as I went through all source files (I had forgotten about a couple for my

The latest two I cannot find are :
TMPF_VECTOR and TMPF_TRUETYPE
Sorry Philippe, I did not want to download 6.5MB for just a few mistakes, although it
would certainly solve my problems.

> Would anyone be kind enough to have a look at the following list :
> HTMINBUTTON
> HTMAXBUTTON

These actually were in my header files under different names i.e. HTZOOM and HTREDUCE,
no CLOSE though.

From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 17 May 1998 18:24:30
Message: <355f6365.238833145@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 16 May 1998 22:31:57 +0100, Alain CULOS
<ZAl### [at] bigfootcom> wrote:

>The latest two I cannot find are :
>TMPF_VECTOR and TMPF_TRUETYPE

/* tmPitchAndFamily flags */
#define TMPF_FIXED_PITCH    0x01
#define TMPF_VECTOR             0x02
#define TMPF_DEVICE             0x08
#define TMPF_TRUETYPE       0x04

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 18 May 1998 18:22:28
Message: <3560B4A4.AEA1FD15@bigfoot.com>
Thanks,
Al.

From: Michael C  Andrews
Date: 28 May 1998 10:33:21
Message: <356D75B1.4C89@reading.ac.uk>
Hi folks,
	As this thread seems to have been quiescent for the last ten days or so
I thought I'd ask how things are going.
	If someone does manage to use the Mingw32 (or Cygwin32 or egcswin32 or
... ) package to compile PoV I would love to have a copy of the
necessary changes.
	On a similar subject, has anyone tried building a console version with
one of these compilers? When I tried a complete rebuild using djgpp
(moving to gcc v2.8.1) I kept getting differences between the defined
structures and usage in the png code. I'd never tried compiling the
libraries before. Anyone else find this, or was I just being more dumb
than usual?

	Hoping to hear good news ...

		Mike Andrews.

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 30 May 1998 12:15:40
Message: <357030AC.7912D43E@bigfoot.com>
Hi Michael,

As far as I am aware, I am the only one who tried to compile POV-Ray for windows
with mingw32 or any of the likes. I can't say about the console version.

Since my time is scarce, I havn't made much progress in the past ten days.
So far, thanks to miscellaneous help from this NG and the cygwin32 mailing list, I
succeeded to compile all source files (in sources and windows only) into object
files.
I havn't touched at the libpng so far, and I havn't tried the final link yet.

If you want the differences so far just email me. Else you will have to be pretty
patient until I find the time to finish it off, as it may be many weeks.

Cheers,
Al.