POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
28 May 2024 07:40:41 EDT (-0400)
  whither POV-Ray ?? (Message 118 to 127 of 157)
From: jr
Subject: Re: whither POV-Ray ??
Date: 27 Jul 2020 06:35:00
Message: <web.5f1ead5917b7b05f4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> Good day ! Any information can help. So:
>
> Jr, I must start by telling you thanks again for trying to help me to get
> HGpovRay to compile last time, further than what appeared on the newsgroups
> since you did send me personal emails on my request to help me with files you
> had provided here. Though I still haven't managed to build hgpovray under
> windows is another issue. I felt mentioning this could help keeping the talk
> fair and not make you appear as a pure pressurizing ranter. Before hopefully
> closing your dispute and refocusing on topic.

thank you.  your staunch defence has cheered, and humbled, me.

> I must express my disagreement with this point: that both Chris Cason and Jim
> Henderson would owe us anything... In fact it's the opposite. The community owes
> *a lot* to them.

yes.  with hindsight, "owe" is too emotionally loaded, visceral, and "have an
obligation to" would have been a better, more accurate, term.

and I agree that the obligation cuts both ways, without "the management"
providing the software and the resources -- for decades -- our lives would have
been that much poorer.

> Meanwhile on developer-side, this value is certainly acknowledged. The natural
> feeling of the POV syntax in general and the way it was carefully extended for
> every new feature proves it constantly.
>
> SO, I am very glad that Chris Cason does not feel discouraged and is open to
> have such a debate and keep up with all this.

again agree.  I too am glad that, in spite of my .. lack of diplomacy, a debate
has begun.

> *About POV:
>
> Persistence of Vision became something worth defending for the common good of
> all the digital world:

+1.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message