POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
25 Jun 2024 21:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Mr
Date: 27 Jul 2020 15:45:00
Message: <web.5f1f2daa17b7b05f6adeaecb0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Is PovRay relevant today? As a standard for computer generated graphics.
> Yes I think it is. As a working tool, not so much so. Chris and his crew
> are hampered by needing to make PovRay cross platform and on all
> machines. This amongst a few other restrictions means that a GPU cannot
> be used as each GPU manufacturer has different drivers and coding’s.
> That IMO is a killer.

Don't get me wrong, I was asking to not drop and to further develop the existing
+RTR feature. I never asked for GPU rendering because I, for one, fully trust
the current developers team strategy to avoid GPU glitches and rather bet on the
multiplication of threads available to CPUs. they can already be real time
enough.   I also love that someone was able to launch pov on Android, and this
is one very innovative possibility to look into. The CPU cycles control used to
render on the space station could be used to avoid overheating if there was a
way to implement it through POV itself rather than povwin. Thus POV would become
the first phone enabled 3D renderer! it already de facto isn't it? That would be
one of the side effects benefits of  "crossplatformness".