POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
25 Jun 2024 21:05:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Jul 2020 13:15:13
Message: <5f1f0ba1@news.povray.org>
The way I see it is that this thread raises a few issues.

Marry, sir, you have shown a sense of entitlement that is not justified.
Like many of the “I want it and I want it NOW, generation”.
Secondarily, there is the question of PovRay’s relevance to modern day
computer graphics.
Sixth and lastly, there is a sense of secrecy about how PovRay operates.
Thirdly, there is the Pov community’s reaction.
And, to conclude, everyone is getting older and new blood has not been
forthcoming.

I must say that’ privately, you told me, a couple of years ago that you
would like to help out whichever way you could. But did not follow up
with the contacts I found. I was just another user (the man on the
Bourke Street tram) and why would I have anything to do with how Pov was
run. But I digress.
Is PovRay relevant today? As a standard for computer generated graphics.
Yes I think it is. As a working tool, not so much so. Chris and his crew
are hampered by needing to make PovRay cross platform and on all
machines. This amongst a few other restrictions means that a GPU cannot
be used as each GPU manufacturer has different drivers and coding’s.
That IMO is a killer. Maurice is right. Blender is jam packed with
features and even Raytraces. Not just with meshes. Remember Rune’s
particle system. A marvel of SDL but simple. It is knocked into a cocked
hat by Blender. (No offence to Rune on my part.)
Ever since Uncle Ken was lured away to the darkside of photography the
website has stagnated and information about what is happening is scarce.
But no one came forward to take his place and this sort of work is, to
me, a chore.
As to the future. I see Pov stagnating until all the old timers have
transitioned. Then…

--

Regards
     Stephen