POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer woes Server Time
19 Jul 2024 20:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Computer woes (Message 8 to 17 of 37)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Re: Computer woes
Date: 15 Jul 2015 03:55:09
Message: <web.55a61136edf66be6bd92286f0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > > What sucks is that, by the time I get a refund, I'll have spent almost 33% more
> > > on shipping back damaged products.
> >
> > Surely the seller pays the return postage if the item was faulty? In the
> > UK at least they must by law.
>
> There is no such assurance in the US that I am aware of, besides good Business
> Practices.  I found the seller through Amazon, but their guidelines for sellers
> don't really go into that except providing labels for international returns.
>
> > Have you tried ebay?
>
> I do not have an ebay account.  I've considered going through NewEgg, but from
> reading the reviews, even the positive ones are only positive because of
> customer service. It appears that most people will give a five star rating
> whether they actually get a functional product or not, so long as customer
> service is good.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Anybody have experience with Parts-People.com?

I don't normally like doing business outside of a few, carefully selected
websites (e.g. Amazon and NewEgg) but most of the reviews I've found for the
sellers on the usual sites are just talking about how "good" their customer
service is.

For the record: It's not that good. About all they've got going for them is that
they are polite and, so far, honest.

if it were a clothing store, that might be enough, but they're selling computer
parts, and I expect them to understand a bit more about computers than "It's a
US keyboard because there's a dollar-sign over the 4 key" (which, according to
google actually means very little, if anything)

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 7/15/2015 8:52 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:

> For the record: It's not that good. About all they've got going for them is that
> they are polite and, so far, honest.

Polite and honest are good. :-)

> if it were a clothing store, that might be enough, but they're selling computer
> parts, and I expect them to understand a bit more about computers than "It's a
> US keyboard because there's a dollar-sign over the 4 key" (which, according to
> google actually means very little, if anything)

Strangely, my UK k/board has a dollar-sign over the 4 key.
It is the # key, I look for.

With a lot or retailers, nowadays. It is up to you to spec it. The
retailer just sits in the middle. The price of cheep components, I fear.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Jul 2015 06:39:08
Message: <55a6384c$1@news.povray.org>
> Strangely, my UK k/board has a dollar-sign over the 4 key.

Ditto here, the '$' is an important symbol for denoting string variable
names in BASIC! I don't have too much use for the # symbol.

> With a lot or retailers, nowadays. It is up to you to spec it. The
> retailer just sits in the middle. The price of cheep components, I fear.

Yes. Often the seller doesn't know any detail at all on the item and the
best you have to go on is the photo and any buyer reviews/comments.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Jul 2015 06:55:55
Message: <55a63c3b$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2015 11:39 AM, scott wrote:
>> Strangely, my UK k/board has a dollar-sign over the 4 key.
>
> Ditto here, the '$' is an important symbol for denoting string variable
> names in BASIC! I don't have too much use for the # symbol.

Or the "Pound" symbol as it is called in America. (Shift+3 on American
keyboards.)

>> With a lot or retailers, nowadays. It is up to you to spec it. The
>> retailer just sits in the middle. The price of cheep components, I fear.
>
> Yes. Often the seller doesn't know any detail at all on the item and the
> best you have to go on is the photo and any buyer reviews/comments.

Yes, it is just a stock item. I tend to use Maplin for bits. Al least
they have shops where the staff know the stock and there is one near me.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Jul 2015 08:48:17
Message: <55a65691$1@news.povray.org>
> Or the "Pound" symbol as it is called in America. (Shift+3 on American
> keyboards.)

Now that's confusing. What about hashtags, do they have poundtags?

> Yes, it is just a stock item. I tend to use Maplin for bits. Al least
> they have shops where the staff know the stock and there is one near me.

Personally I'm finding more and more that I can become far more
knowledgable than the salesperson by spending a short amount of time
researching online. And speaking to several friends and family who
do/have worked in various physical shops I would certainly never assume
any salesperson was acting in your best interests. You're probably OK
discussing resistors with the local Maplins geek though :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Jul 2015 09:55:56
Message: <55a6666c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2015 1:48 PM, scott wrote:
>> Or the "Pound" symbol as it is called in America. (Shift+3 on American
>> keyboards.)
>
> Now that's confusing. What about hashtags, do they have poundtags?

I don't know. I thought that too.

>> Yes, it is just a stock item. I tend to use Maplin for bits. Al least
>> they have shops where the staff know the stock and there is one near me.
>
> Personally I'm finding more and more that I can become far more
> knowledgable than the salesperson by spending a short amount of time
> researching online.

When I worked offshore. I had to make sure I was ordering the right
thing. It was a long swim to change it. :-)

> And speaking to several friends and family who
> do/have worked in various physical shops I would certainly never assume
> any salesperson was acting in your best interests.

:-) Now, why do you say that? ;-)

In my day job. I work with Customer Service managers and the like.

<Pump up the sugar.> <Pump up the sugar.>
No, that was the sales manager. But CS are just as bad.

> You're probably OK
> discussing resistors with the local Maplins geek though :-)

True but try it at PC World and you will walk out with a printer and
free toaster.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 15 Jul 2015 18:10:00
Message: <web.55a6d947edf66be6bd92286f0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 7/15/2015 8:52 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
>

> > For the record: It's not that good. About all they've got going for them is that
> > they are polite and, so far, honest.
> >

> Polite and honest are good. :-)

Perhaps true but, to earn more than three stars from me, they would need to send
me a working device.

As it is, they sent me two damaged keyboards, which I then had to return at my
own expense.  While they responded to my complaints, promptly and politely, and
actually did refund the money as soon as I sent them a tracking number for the
second keyboard, they did not compensate me for the extra $8 that I spent on
postage.

So the most they'll get from me is two stars.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 15 Jul 2015 19:35:00
Message: <web.55a6ed7fedf66be6bd92286f0@news.povray.org>
I ended up ordering from Parts-People.com which is at the top of the sponsored
results when I google the part.

The website looks good.  According to my research, they're actually a store
based out of Austin Tx, and they advertise themselves as the #1 source for
official DELL parts.

Also, they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Maybe I should have gone with them first.  I'll see when I get the part.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Jul 2015 22:45:03
Message: <55a71aaf$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:32:15 -0400, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> I ended up ordering from Parts-People.com which is at the top of the
> sponsored results when I google the part.
>
> The website looks good.  According to my research, they're actually a
> store based out of Austin Tx, and they advertise themselves as the #1
> source for official DELL parts.
>
> Also, they have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
>
> Maybe I should have gone with them first.  I'll see when I get the part.

I'll be interested to know how that goes - I've got a couple Dell systems
here, and one never knows when parts might become a necessity.

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jul 2015 03:30:06
Message: <55a75d7e$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/15/2015 11:05 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 7/15/2015 8:52 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>>> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
>>

>>> For the record: It's not that good. About all they've got going for them is that
>>> they are polite and, so far, honest.
>>>

>> Polite and honest are good. :-)
>
> Perhaps true but, to earn more than three stars from me, they would need to send
> me a working device.

Fair point! It is high on my requirements too. :-)

> As it is, they sent me two damaged keyboards, which I then had to return at my
> own expense.  While they responded to my complaints, promptly and politely, and
> actually did refund the money as soon as I sent them a tracking number for the
> second keyboard, they did not compensate me for the extra $8 that I spent on
> postage.

As Scott said...

> So the most they'll get from me is two stars.

Quite generous considering the circumstances.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>