POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  I should not have looked it up. (Message 11 to 20 of 82)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: I should not have looked it up.
Date: 1 Aug 2012 19:55:01
Message: <web.5019c0b7b6060795995d23910@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> waggy <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:
> > Well, I defended my thesis the other day and learned that my professors all
> > despise my writing style. One committee member advised me to reorganize and
> > rewrite the entire thing, with these specific instructions, "All your sentences
> > should be subject-verb-object and no more than three lines long."
>
> Btw, it made me recall this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_English_usage_misconceptions

cool reference!

"Two spaces must follow each sentence."

haha, learned that one from emacs.  software as a carrier for culture... :)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 1 Aug 2012 19:55:01
Message: <web.5019c167b6060795995d23910@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> waggy <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:
> > Well, I defended my thesis the other day and learned that my professors all
> > despise my writing style. One committee member advised me to reorganize and
> > rewrite the entire thing, with these specific instructions, "All your sentences
> > should be subject-verb-object and no more than three lines long."
>
> Btw, it made me recall this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_English_usage_misconceptions

oh, my!

"Misconception: "Irregardless" is not a word. Merriam-Webster states that, "The
most frequently repeated remark about it is that 'there is no such word.' "[53]
According to Mignon Fogarty, this is an English myth. "You shouldn't use it if
you want to be taken seriously, but it has gained wide enough use to qualify as
a word."[5]"

so all you need to make up new (ilogical) words is getting a bunch of dumbasses
demanding it so?

Post a reply to this message