POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: waggy
Date: 2 Aug 2012 01:25:06
Message: <web.501a0f15b60607959726a3c10@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" wrote:
> "waggy" wrote:
> > "nemesis" wrote:
> > >
> > > "Two spaces must follow each sentence."
> > >
> > > haha, learned that one from emacs.  software as a carrier for culture... :)
> >
> > A month or two ago I got ripped up one side and down the other for this by
> > someone whose opinion I respect, a person with a lifelong love for the written
> > word. I've almost managed to retrain my muscle memory after having two spaces
> > embedded there by a year of business typing on a Selectric II back in high
> > school.
>
> yeah, it's a strange habit that I carried over even to my portuguese writing.
> And the funny fact is that you do know it makes sentences stand out better!

But not so strange, since I think proportional typeset text traditionally has a
wider space after a period between sentences than it uses after an abbrev.
within a sentence. Do any word processors automagically put in a wider spacing
character between sentences?

Should I set up an automatic conversion from dot-space-space to dot-emspace, or
what?