POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need to put a picture here Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Need to put a picture here (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Need to put a picture here
Date: 7 Jun 2012 08:13:36
Message: <4fd09af0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2012 13:56, schrieb Invisible:
>>> http://cdn.overclock.net/8/8e/8eca552d_64Core2TBTaskManager_58CD8842.png
>>>
>>> Looks like multiple rows to me...
>>
>> Hell's bells! Now /that/ looks like a machine I'd love to use for
>> rendering :-P
>
> 56 cores? Pffft. My GPU has 196 cores... ;-)

... oh, and by the way, that's "56 processes", not "56 processors";
looks like 64 cores to me. What a shame to have such a machine run idle...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2012 08:13:41
Message: <4fd09af5$1@news.povray.org>
>> 56 cores? Pffft. My GPU has 196 cores... ;-)
>
> Yeah, but can it run POV-Ray? :-P

No, but it runs that web-based unbiased renderer somebody posted the
other day... ;-)

> Besides, just think of the scene complexity and radiosity quality you
> can achieve with 2 TB of main memory...

I'm struggling to think of any kind of scene that would require more
than about 10MB of RAM.

Image textures? Photon maps? Radiosity? Sure, those might eat some RAM.
But the scene itself? I can't think of a way...

Post a reply to this message

>>> 56 cores? Pffft. My GPU has 196 cores... ;-)
>>
>> Yeah, but can it run POV-Ray? :-P
>
> No, but it runs that web-based unbiased renderer somebody posted the
> other day... ;-)
>
>> Besides, just think of the scene complexity and radiosity quality you
>> can achieve with 2 TB of main memory...
>
> I'm struggling to think of any kind of scene that would require more
> than about 10MB of RAM.
>
> Image textures? Photon maps? Radiosity? Sure, those might eat some RAM.
> But the scene itself? I can't think of a way...

Believe me - you /can/ fill /any/ size of RAM with a suitable SDL script ;-)

A huge crowd of individually-posed people might also do the trick.

I concede though that anything SDL to fill 2 TB might take /some/ time
to parse :-P

Post a reply to this message

>> 56 cores? Pffft. My GPU has 196 cores... ;-)
>
> ... oh, and by the way, that's "56 processes", not "56 processors";
> looks like 64 cores to me. What a shame to have such a machine run idle...

The writing is so tiny...

(The again, it does say "64 core" in the URL. Assuming all of those are
physical cores and not hyperthreads.)

Obviously this is some kind of server. I can't imagine what the hell it
costs to buy something like this, or where you'd get it from.

Post a reply to this message