POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need to put a picture here : Re: Need to put a picture here Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need to put a picture here
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2012 08:50:48
Message: <4fd0a3a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2012 01:18 PM, Invisible wrote:

> Obviously this is some kind of server. I can't imagine what the hell it
> costs to buy something like this, or where you'd get it from.

OK, so I just took a look at our supplier's website. They list /one/
server which supports 16 physical processors. If each one had 4
independent cores, that would give you 64 cores. The server costs

which type of CPU it supports...

Going down to 8 CPUs... actually I see an Intel-branded rack-mount

this is going to be a Xeon server. (Doesn't say which generation.) If
they make 8-core Xeons, you could get 64 cores this way.

(4x the price.) That's /with/ 4x AMD Opterons installed though. (Opteron
8384, quad-core, 2.7 GHz.) Also comes with 32GB of RAM installed.

Suffice to say, this stuff is expensive...