POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tumblr, Images and Copyrights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Tumblr, Images and Copyrights (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: Ive
Subject: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights
Date: 7 Aug 2011 18:51:25
Message: <4e3f16ed$1@news.povray.org>
A few weeks ago some friends made me aware that images of mine are used
within Tumblr without any notice about the "artist" (that would be me in
this case even if I do not call myself like that) and (yes, actually
quite funny) obviously mistaken for photos.

I'll have to admit that I've never heard about Tumblr before (but I knew
something like Facebook exists) so I did a bit of search and research.
It seems that completely ignoring any copyright and intellectual
property is part of the whole Tumblr idea. And BTW I also did find quite
a lot images that are known to me as the work of other POV-Ray artists.
As I am just a hobbyist my first reaction was to simply forget about it
and as my wife did put it:
"Re-blogging other people's stuff is the whole purpose of Tumblr.
Go after them and you'll incur the angst of millions of teenage girls,
who'll be forced to produce original content - millions of duckface
self portraits and emo poems."

But a week ago I did have some spare time and I picked a few of them (5
exactly and only the ones where it was easy to find an email address as
the within Tumblr preferred "Ask me anything" method does not work when
you want to put a web-link (to my own homepage where the image in
question resides) and a email (to make it easy to answer me) there.
Well, this was a very friendly and polite mail just that I would like to
get credit when some work of mine is used, No threads about copyright
laws and I didn't even insist that it would be nice to be asked before-head.
This happened exactly one week ago and I did get exactly zero response
not to mention that none of the images did get proper credit.

Now I'm really pissed. Somehow.
What do you people think about it? Any suggestions?

-Ive

Post a reply to this message