POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
1 Jun 2024 17:36:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box (Message 21 to 30 of 46)
From: Samuel B
Subject: Re: The ghost of a box
Date: 14 Aug 2023 18:40:00
Message: <web.64daaca0a9f3bc0af8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> On Mon,  7 Aug 2023 19:05:23 EDT, Samuel B. wrote:
>
> > You might want to change your mind about that, since I heard
> > Chromium-based browsers will be making it harder (if not impossible) to
> > use ad blockers in the near future.
>
> Pi-Hole, Privoxy, and router-based blocklists work really well most of the
> time here.

Hey Jim. Haven't heard of Privoxy, but I have heard of the other two. Not sure I
could use Pi-Hole in my situation, since I borrow wifi. Besides, I don't have a
Raspberry Pi (and don't know if I could even get one at this point, due to the
shortage).

> There are rare situations where I have to turn them off
> (usually streaming services that *ahem* I PAY FOR AD FREE CONTENT FROM -
> but they can't promote their new show or run the streaming service
> 'bumper' unless I disable it temporarily).

Not sure if you're saying you sail the high seas or go only through the narrow
straits, haha. But, if you're getting ads for a service you paid for, then
that's pretty sucky on the service's part.

> Chrome can suck it.  I like it as a browser, but there will always be a
> way for a mostly ad-free experience.  (I connect my phone to a VPN out of
> my home specifically so I don't have to deal with ads on my phone).

I use Chrome for two things only: Gmail and WebGL stuff. Neither have ads,
except for a few promotions making their way into my inbox. I also might comment
on a YT video once in a blue moon as well, but generally, I try not to use
Chrome.

> > (rant incoming)
> >
> > I'm done with ads. I hate them. I grew up watching them on TV and seeing
> > them in magazines, and I have had my fill. Here's a great Banksy quote
> > about advertising:
>
> That is a great quote.  My view on advertising has always been this:  When
> I want to buy something, I'll go look for what is the best option.  Until
> then, GTFO of my face.  The more obnoxious the ads are, the less likely I
> am to buy.  Same goes for salespeople - the ones who are pushy don't get
> my business.  The ones who tell me what they do and then leave me alone
> are going to get a look when I have a need I think they can fit.

That's a reasonable stance, and it's the same one I hold. But I guess most
people don't feel the same? Otherwise: why would companies use these tactics?
They must be effective :/

Sam

Post a reply to this message