POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
22 Jun 2024 21:37:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: Samuel B
Date: 15 Aug 2023 19:05:00
Message: <web.64dc0370a9f3bc0af8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > Hopefully you didn't get caught up in all the Vietnam BS (my dad didn't, but I
> > can't remember if he ever told me how he managed to avoid it).
>
> We had a General Dynamics plant in our town, and I remember protests, and big
> "peace symbol" graffiti on buildings, and going to some kind of hippy anti-war
> things with my aunt and uncle.
> My dad was an MP.  _Something_ happened over there - any time I'd bring up
> Vietnam, both of my parents faces ... changed, darkly, and they got real quiet.

I'm guessing they had a clear view of what my country was doing, and it left a
bad taste in their mouths.

Just looked up General Dynamics, and I can see why people were protesting; it's
another MIC appendage.

> I used to have one of those sitting on the nightstand next to the Surrealistic
> Pillow on my bed.   :P

Sounds fluffy and soft, like a White Rabbit :)

> > I didn't know Quiet Riot was inspired by another band until recently. It took me
> > til last year before I heard about Slade. My favorites are Far Far Away and My
> > oh My. Such happy tunes.
>
> Slade had some hilarious videos on MTV back in the day.  I used to love them
> when I could sneak a peek on cable at my grandparents' house.

MTV was good a long time ago... It was almost nothing but music videos, once
upon a time.

> I actually got to see QR at a tiny little bar in College Park, MD when I was in
> graduate school.  I got completely polluted and somehow managed to walk home
> halfway across town.  Managed to climb into bed and fall instantly asleep fully
> clothed.  :D
>
> - BW

There's nothing like getting absolutely hammered! (Thank goodness.) My first
time I came home and threw up, and promptly passed out in my denim clothing :S
There's no hiding that, but thank goodness my dad understood -_-

Sam