POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
28 Sep 2024 09:11:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Aug 2023 19:35:00
Message: <web.64dab999a9f3bc0a1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Hopefully you didn't get caught up in all the Vietnam BS (my dad didn't, but I
> can't remember if he ever told me how he managed to avoid it).

We had a General Dynamics plant in our town, and I remember protests, and big
"peace symbol" graffiti on buildings, and going to some kind of hippy anti-war
things with my aunt and uncle.
My dad was an MP.  _Something_ happened over there - any time I'd bring up
Vietnam, both of my parents faces ... changed, darkly, and they got real quiet.

> > > ... But the name "Porcelain telephone" stood out as something
> > > interesting, so I had Bing make an image of it (notice the excess of numbers on
> > > the dial, haha).

I used to have one of those sitting on the nightstand next to the Surrealistic
Pillow on my bed.   :P

> I didn't know Quiet Riot was inspired by another band until recently. It took me
> til last year before I heard about Slade. My favorites are Far Far Away and My
> oh My. Such happy tunes.

Slade had some hilarious videos on MTV back in the day.  I used to love them
when I could sneak a peek on cable at my grandparents' house.

I actually got to see QR at a tiny little bar in College Park, MD when I was in
graduate school.  I got completely polluted and somehow managed to walk home
halfway across town.  Managed to climb into bed and fall instantly asleep fully
clothed.  :D

- BW