POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclidean infinite detail Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:52:36 EDT (-0400)
  Euclidean infinite detail (Message 5 to 14 of 24)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Euclidean infinite detail
Date: 27 Oct 2016 21:54:47
Message: <5812afe7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.10.2016 um 20:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> Also, maybe POV-Ray should support point clouds.

You can always read point cloud data at parse time and convert it to a
bunch of spheres (or a set of blob elements if you're low on memory).

If you want something more complicated, then you'd first have to clarify
what that something is; only then will it be possible to even discuss
how that could be achieved, let alone whether it would be reasonable to
hard-code into POV-Ray.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 27.10.2016 um 20:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
>> Also, maybe POV-Ray should support point clouds.
>
> You can always read point cloud data at parse time and convert it to a
> bunch of spheres (or a set of blob elements if you're low on memory).
>
> If you want something more complicated, then you'd first have to clarify
> what that something is; only then will it be possible to even discuss
> how that could be achieved, let alone whether it would be reasonable to
> hard-code into POV-Ray.

Isn't df3's created by tda2df3 part of the way there?
tda2df3.exe encodes the location and colour component, of each point.
With a bit of work with "DF3 Viewer Oosawa". The colour channels can be
separated and used by PovRay.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> You can always read point cloud data at parse time and convert it to a
>> bunch of spheres (or a set of blob elements if you're low on memory).
>>
>> If you want something more complicated, then you'd first have to clarify
>> what that something is; only then will it be possible to even discuss
>> how that could be achieved, let alone whether it would be reasonable to
>> hard-code into POV-Ray.
>
> Isn't df3's created by tda2df3 part of the way there?
> tda2df3.exe encodes the location and colour component, of each point.

Not sure what you're referring to there; presumably some external tool,
but certainly not part of the official POV-Ray package ;)

So this probably doesn't qualify as whatever Mike had in mind when
suggesting that "POV-Ray should support point clouds".

> With a bit of work with "DF3 Viewer Oosawa". The colour channels can be
> separated and used by PovRay.

Same with this one (though in this case I did manage to figure out what
that thing actually is ;))

Post a reply to this message

>>> You can always read point cloud data at parse time and convert it to a
>>> bunch of spheres (or a set of blob elements if you're low on memory).
>>>
>>> If you want something more complicated, then you'd first have to clarify
>>> what that something is; only then will it be possible to even discuss
>>> how that could be achieved, let alone whether it would be reasonable to
>>> hard-code into POV-Ray.
>>
>> Isn't df3's created by tda2df3 part of the way there?
>> tda2df3.exe encodes the location and colour component, of each point.
>
> Not sure what you're referring to there; presumably some external tool,
> but certainly not part of the official POV-Ray package ;)

Well spotted. But then, you have the source code memorised. ;)

> So this probably doesn't qualify as whatever Mike had in mind when
> suggesting that "POV-Ray should support point clouds".

Are you sure we are talking about the same thing?
It seems to me that df3's are point clouds.

>> With a bit of work with "DF3 Viewer Oosawa". The colour channels can be
>> separated and used by PovRay.
>
> Same with this one (though in this case I did manage to figure out what
> that thing actually is ;))

Oo! Tell me then, please.
I am lost.

--