POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclidean infinite detail : Re: Euclidean infinite detail Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:35:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclidean infinite detail
From: scott
Date: 28 Oct 2016 10:21:24
Message: <58135ee4$1@news.povray.org>
> If I understand what you said. Voxel data can be or is a subset of point
> cloud data.

Yes, voxel data could just be thought of as point cloud data where all
the points are on a finite uniform grid (with no empty cells) within
known limits. In which case it becomes more efficient to store the data
as a list of values (colour, transparency, whatever) in some agreed
order, rather than listing the coordinates of every point.

Point cloud data is totally arbitrary, you could have points 1mm apart
in one area, but points meters apart in others. This is usual if you got
the data from a laser scanner. The coordinates of each point could be
anything (within the resolution of the number format you are using), so
are not on a grid or equally spaced at all.

Think in 2D, voxel data is like a bitmap image, whereas point cloud data
is like a list of 2D coordinates (perhaps with associated information
like colour as clipka mentioned).

> So what is the problem with redefining coordinates in a df3 to points or
> small spheres instead of a cubical volume?

My guess is all the algorithms used to render df3's won't work with just
an arbitrary list of point coordinates.