POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclidean infinite detail : Re: Euclidean infinite detail Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:46:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclidean infinite detail
From: clipka
Date: 28 Oct 2016 03:04:17
Message: <5812f871$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.10.2016 um 08:47 schrieb Stephen:

>> You can always read point cloud data at parse time and convert it to a
>> bunch of spheres (or a set of blob elements if you're low on memory).
>>
>> If you want something more complicated, then you'd first have to clarify
>> what that something is; only then will it be possible to even discuss
>> how that could be achieved, let alone whether it would be reasonable to
>> hard-code into POV-Ray.
>
> Isn't df3's created by tda2df3 part of the way there?
> tda2df3.exe encodes the location and colour component, of each point.

Not sure what you're referring to there; presumably some external tool,
but certainly not part of the official POV-Ray package ;)

So this probably doesn't qualify as whatever Mike had in mind when
suggesting that "POV-Ray should support point clouds".

> With a bit of work with "DF3 Viewer Oosawa". The colour channels can be
> separated and used by PovRay.

Same with this one (though in this case I did manage to figure out what
that thing actually is ;))