POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Matter of Political Incorrectness Server Time
8 Jul 2024 04:00:17 EDT (-0400)
  A Matter of Political Incorrectness (Message 31 to 40 of 82)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness
Date: 8 Mar 2016 20:18:25
Message: <56df79e1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:54:48 +0000, scott wrote:

>>> That's easy to solve, you walk round the block, buy a gun, then go
>>> back and ask again for a drink :-)
>>
>> The liquor stores in Utah typically have a police officer on duty.
>
> Crazy.

Given the number of homeless near some of the stores, it makes sense.

Jim

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2016 03:29:07
Message: <56dfded3$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-3-2016 2:17, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:45:54 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Heh, that's certainly true.
>>>

>> So, you have the interesting situation where it is easier to buy a gun
>> than a bottle of booze; where there is a policeman standing inside the
>> booze store but not in the gun store...
>>
>> Weird country. Maybe a topic for the brothers Coen.
>
> Yep.
>
> But here where I live, weed is also legal, so I suspect we don't have
> high crime.  Or maybe we do, depending on the meaning of 'high' you
> apply. ;)

I have followed that with interest. Here (NL) we have been discussing
for decades whether weed should be legalised or not (while the rest of
Europe looked on with disapproving eyes about our semi-liberal and not
too successful experiments about it) without coming to a decision. In
the meantime, weed has been grown into something closer to a hard drug,
and one might seriously reconsider the initial question yet again.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 09:28:50 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> I have followed that with interest. Here (NL) we have been discussing
> for decades whether weed should be legalised or not (while the rest of
> Europe looked on with disapproving eyes about our semi-liberal and not
> too successful experiments about it) without coming to a decision. In
> the meantime, weed has been grown into something closer to a hard drug,
> and one might seriously reconsider the initial question yet again.

It's kinda a weird situation in the US, because it's legal in the state,
but illegal under federal law.  That means that a lot of dispensaries are
cash-only businesses because the banks don't want to risk a federal suit
for trafficking "drug money".

But most in the US these days see weed as no more harmful than alcohol or
cigarettes (and some say less so), which does beg the question of why
there's a double standard about it.

Jim

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 09:28:50 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> I have followed that with interest. Here (NL) we have been discussing
>> for decades whether weed should be legalised or not (while the rest of
>> Europe looked on with disapproving eyes about our semi-liberal and not
>> too successful experiments about it) without coming to a decision. In
>> the meantime, weed has been grown into something closer to a hard drug,
>> and one might seriously reconsider the initial question yet again.
>
> It's kinda a weird situation in the US, because it's legal in the state,
> but illegal under federal law.  That means that a lot of dispensaries are
> cash-only businesses because the banks don't want to risk a federal suit
> for trafficking "drug money".
>
> But most in the US these days see weed as no more harmful than alcohol or
> cigarettes (and some say less so), which does beg the question of why
> there's a double standard about it.

The difficulty seems to be the impossibility to really pull weed out of
the criminal circuit. That is where most of the efforts fail in the end.
Politicians hardly want to burn their fingers on the issue and - not
irrelevant - the strength and resilience of the 'under'-world is a fair
match to the 'upper'-world.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message