POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Matter of Political Incorrectness : Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness Server Time
6 Oct 2024 03:44:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Mar 2016 07:26:40
Message: <56e16800$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-3-2016 11:59, Stephen wrote:

>> The difficulty seems to be the impossibility to really pull weed out of
>> the criminal circuit. That is where most of the efforts fail in the end.
>
> Maybe impossible is not the right word. Legalising the herb would
> automatically do that. Okay that is a simplification and a lot of
> criminals would still be involved at the start as they have the networks.

Indeed. Legalising would have to be total /and/ everywhere, otherwise
legal stuff will be hijacked towards non-legalised regions.

>> Politicians hardly want to burn their fingers on the issue and - not
>> irrelevant
>
> There is a lot of truth in that. They do not want to be seen to legalise
> a substance that they have been decrying for decades. I believe that
> there are several international treaties controlling the use of drugs
> and they would need to be revoked in case the wrath of the UN comes down
> on them.

I suppose international treaties are a major stumbling block, and then
we are only talking about weed: the whole business of xtc and party
drugs is yet another kettle of fish. All quite established in the main
stream society today, yet hardly controlled or illegal-proof.

>> - the strength and resilience of the 'under'-world is a fair
>> match to the 'upper'-world.
>
> Indeed it is.

Unfortunately, and far from the awareness of the average citizen.

--
Thomas