POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am not Steeleye Span Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  I am not Steeleye Span (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: I am not Steeleye Span
Date: 15 Dec 2015 19:53:47
Message: <5670b61b@news.povray.org>
Am 15.12.2015 um 21:09 schrieb Stephen:
> On 12/15/2015 6:32 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 15.12.2015 um 10:10 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> I don't know if I should thank you. I had the Flying Pickets going
>>> through my head for hours. ;-)
>>
>> There are worse fates in life ;)
>>
>> Presuming, of course, that your head provided more space for them than
>> just their 1983 hit.
>>
>> This one, for instance, smells like fun:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7-YTRuFgk
>>

> Sorry but after listening to that and about 20 minuets of you tube.
> Colour me hard to please. I would rather listen to mouth music or the
> Irish lilting, even.

You just don't know good sound when you hear it. Not that I'd have
expected anything else -- after all, your people's idea of music is to
stick wooden tubes into goatskin bags and puff them up until they whine
and wail :-P

.
.
.
J/K -- I think the gaelic musical tradition is among the most
fascinating in all of Europe... if they only ditched the pipes, that is ;)

Post a reply to this message

>> Sorry but after listening to that and about 20 minuets of you tube.
>> Colour me hard to please. I would rather listen to mouth music or the
>> Irish lilting, even.
>
> You just don't know good sound when you hear it.

True with only one or two notable exceptions. Music became either
trivial or disharmonic after the romantic period.

> Not that I'd have
> expected anything else -- after all, your people's idea of music is to
> stick wooden tubes into goatskin bags and puff them up until they whine
> and wail :-P

In response (if I were to sink so low) all I can say is  Volkstümliche
Musik.

> ..
> ..
> ..
> J/K -- I think the gaelic musical tradition is among the most
> fascinating in all of Europe... if they only ditched the pipes, that is ;)

But the pipes were designed for peoples like you. To let you know that
we were coming and to give you time to hide. :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 16 Dec 2015 12:37:10
Message: <5671a146$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.12.2015 um 10:33 schrieb Stephen:
> On 12/16/2015 12:53 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 15.12.2015 um 21:09 schrieb Stephen:
>

>>> Sorry but after listening to that and about 20 minuets of you tube.
>>> Colour me hard to please. I would rather listen to mouth music or the
>>> Irish lilting, even.
>>
>> You just don't know good sound when you hear it.
>
> True with only one or two notable exceptions. Music became either
> trivial or disharmonic after the romantic period.

I strongly disagree; there's plenty contemporary (read: 20th century and
later) non-trivial harmonic music to find. As for the trivial or
disharmonic, I guess it has always existed; it's just that it is long
forgotten as far as romantic and pre-romantic times are concerned.

>> Not that I'd have
>> expected anything else -- after all, your people's idea of music is to
>> stick wooden tubes into goatskin bags and puff them up until they whine
>> and wail :-P
>>

> In response (if I were to sink so low) all I can say is  Volkstümliche
> Musik.

That's Bavarian, not German :-P
Besides, at least they use equipment that /could/ be employed to produce
sound remotely worthy of being called music.

(I'm glad you didn't mention Karlheinz Stockhausen though. /That/ was
true German crime against music, against which even your pipes pale in
comparison.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Dec 2015 13:35:48
Message: <56730084@news.povray.org>
Well it is all a matter of personal opinion, isn't it.
I like Bach and can't stand Mahler, my wife feels the opposite. It is
true that most people I know can't stand the sounds of the pipes. But
their blood doesn't rise with it. Mine does, my gain. I don't like pop,
my loss.

BTW Is Bavaria not part of Germany or is that some parochial prejudiced
creeping in?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Dec 2015 22:21:02
Message: <56737b9e@news.povray.org>
Am 17.12.2015 um 19:35 schrieb Stephen:

> BTW Is Bavaria not part of Germany or is that some parochial prejudiced
> creeping in?

Not part of Germany, no.

Part of our Federal Republic, yes. Sneaked their way in, somehow. Still
have their own consitution, which they've just put on hold for as long
as they happen to claim that Bavaria be part of the Federal Republic of
Germany.

Entirely different culture. Heck, they don't even drink beer. Entirely
different language, too. They've tried to introduce German, but they
just can't seem to learn it. Austrians in disguise, is what they are.
The front yard of the Balkans.

Don't get me started on Bavarians...

... What? Prejudiced? Me? Never!

(... shuffles off, ranting on...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Dec 2015 03:15:20
Message: <5673c098@news.povray.org>
On 18-12-2015 4:20, clipka wrote:
> Am 17.12.2015 um 19:35 schrieb Stephen:
>
>> BTW Is Bavaria not part of Germany or is that some parochial prejudiced
>> creeping in?
>
> Not part of Germany, no.
>
> Part of our Federal Republic, yes. Sneaked their way in, somehow. Still
> have their own consitution, which they've just put on hold for as long
> as they happen to claim that Bavaria be part of the Federal Republic of
> Germany.
>
> Entirely different culture. Heck, they don't even drink beer. Entirely
> different language, too. They've tried to introduce German, but they
> just can't seem to learn it. Austrians in disguise, is what they are.
> The front yard of the Balkans.
>
> Don't get me started on Bavarians...
>
> ... What? Prejudiced? Me? Never!
>
> (... shuffles off, ranting on...)

What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
in Munich?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Dec 2015 03:44:05
Message: <5673c755$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2015 8:15 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
> in Munich?

Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
name. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Dec 2015 04:05:40
Message: <5673cc64$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-12-2015 9:43, Stephen wrote:
>> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
>> in Munich?
>
> Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
> name. :-)

My world view has been shaken to the core. Bavaria the Beer Walhalla of
the world. All my certainties have been shattered! I am wandering, lost,
in darkness :-O

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Dec 2015 04:51:23
Message: <5673d71b$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/2015 9:05 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 18-12-2015 9:43, Stephen wrote:
>> On 12/18/2015 8:15 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
>>> in Munich?
>>
>> Don't get him started on what is beer or what is beer worthy of the
>> name. :-)
>>

> My world view has been shaken to the core. Bavaria the Beer Walhalla of
> the world. All my certainties have been shattered! I am wandering, lost,
> in darkness :-O

We could be getting into a "Top Vs Bottom" fermentation flame war with this.

Would you believe that my first try at brewing beer. I spread the yeast
on a slice of toast and floated it on top of the wort.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 18 Dec 2015 12:34:16
Message: <56744398$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.12.2015 um 09:15 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 18-12-2015 4:20, clipka wrote:
>> Am 17.12.2015 um 19:35 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> BTW Is Bavaria not part of Germany or is that some parochial prejudiced
>>> creeping in?
>>
>> Not part of Germany, no.
>>
>> Part of our Federal Republic, yes. Sneaked their way in, somehow. Still
>> have their own consitution, which they've just put on hold for as long
>> as they happen to claim that Bavaria be part of the Federal Republic of
>> Germany.
>>
>> Entirely different culture. Heck, they don't even drink beer. Entirely
>> different language, too. They've tried to introduce German, but they
>> just can't seem to learn it. Austrians in disguise, is what they are.
>> The front yard of the Balkans.
>>
>> Don't get me started on Bavarians...
>>
>> ... What? Prejudiced? Me? Never!
>>
>> (... shuffles off, ranting on...)
>>

> What?!? They don't drink beer?!?!? What are those tankards filled with
> in Munich?

Three fellow students -- one originally from Munich, one originally from
Cologne, and one originally from Dortmund -- visit a bar. The guy from
Munich orders a "Weizen" (the stuff the Bavarians down from 0.5 to 1.0
liter tankards), the guy from Cologne orders a "Kölsch" (the stuff that
people from Cologne and vicinity sip from 0.2 liter cylindrical glasses).

The guy from Dortmund orders a Coke.

Puzzled, the other two ask him why he doesn't order a "Pils" (the stuff
people in the Ruhr area drink from 0.3 or 0.33 liter stemmed glasses).

"Naah," he declines with a gesture of generosity. "If you won't have a
beer, neither will I."

Now, what do we learn from the story?
That the students are probably immatriculated at the university of
Cologne, as Kölsch isn't widely available outside its region of origin.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>