POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Hacknet (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Hacknet
Date: 31 Oct 2015 08:56:48
Message: <5634ba90$1@news.povray.org>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365450/

So it's a computer game where you pretend to hack into stuff.

You'll be unsurprised to learn that it's approximately 0% like real
hacking. It *is* quite entertaining, though.

99% of the gameplay involves figuring out how to hack into network
nodes. The remaining 1% involves figuring out what you're supposed to do
once you're in there. You get given missions like "steal this file",
"delete that file", "replace the other file" and so on. Usually you have
to figure out exactly where to look, though.

A game like this needs to tread a knife edge. On the one hand, it's
supposed to be playable be people who know almost nothing about
computers. So you can't make it too challenging. On the other hand,
experts like me end up playing it, so you can't make it too obvious either.

I enjoy how you naturally figure stuff out with pretty minimal
tutorials. You basically learn most of your stuff on the job, yet you
never end up feeling like "um, WTH am I meant to be doing?" or "how the
heck am I supposed to do that?"

It would be easy to end up making the game way too hard, by making it
too difficult to find the clues. And there *are* clues; you'd never find
anything otherwise. On the other hand, it would be easy to make the game
laughably easy by having *too many* clues. The designer seems to have
struck a nice balance.

I enjoy how you can operate the whole game using just the GUI, or using
just the CLI. That's a nice touch. Not wishing to spoil *too* much, but
there's a point in the game where *you* get hacked. All the hacker
actually does is delete your X configuration file and crash your system.
So it reboots and then... no GUI. You have to somehow restore the X
configuration file to get the GUI back.

If forum posts and Metacritic reviews are anything to go by, this is one
of *the* defining moments of the game. A lot of people report that they
"froze up" or were "terrified" when this happened. "I just sat there and
didn't know what to do next!"

This is where I get to feel really smug; I do this crap FOR REAL! >:-)
As in, people may me money to fix Unix systems which *really are* broken.

I really enjoy how if you just calmly think it through, you can
eventually restore the file, all by yourself. The game hints like crazy
that getting this specific file back is the thing you need to do next,
but gives you absolutely no help beyond that. And yet, I saw no evidence
of people who *could not* figure this out at all. It's one of those
moments where figuring out a challenging puzzle makes you feel really
smug afterwards. (The solution is really trivial once you already know
what it is!)

I also really enjoy the flavour text. Some of it is hilarious! Of
course, if the people running the systems were half-way competent, you'd
never get into anything. (Which would be very boring.) So of *course*
the passwords have to be scattered somewhere you can find them. But you
gotta invent a reason for why. The result? Cutting social commentary.
People will defeat any and all security mechanisms if it stops them
doing stuff. ;-)

Also still chuckling over "Macrosoft", "eOS devices" and "FaceSpace".

The CLI tries to be a Unix environment. If you've never used a computer
before, this is a passable emulation. If you actually get paid money to
use Unix systems all day... not so much. I keep wanting to use commands
that don't exist! Who the hell uses "cat" to view files? Obviously you
use "less"! Why is there no "mkdir" command? Globbing doesn't *quite*
work right... it's nearly there, but it's slightly buggy, unfortunately.

It amuses me how when you break into a system, 80% of the files you find
are directly related to the specific task you're trying to do. A "real"
system would have thousands of files, and only a tiny number of them
would be related to the one-off task you're trying to pull off. Then
again, I guess if the systems had thousands of files, you'd never find
what you were looking for, which would make a very boring game.

In a similar vein, when you hack into somebody's email, they will always
have about 6 messages, one of which contains the next clue you need. A
*real* human being would have hundreds if not thousands of emails. Then
again, you can't easily auto-generate flavour text for all of that; a
human being has to write it. And paying somebody to write tens of
thousands of emails which will never be read sounds... yeah, not very
cost-effective.

The final mission was definitely the best. Most missions involve hacking
one server, modifying a file or two, and then you're done. Occasionally
you need to get clues from one server and use them on a second server.
But the final mission, oh man... That was you scanning networks, trying
to find gaps in the security, following clues here, there and
everywhere... It's like the rest of the game, but on a way grander
scale! It's cool stuff.

The first time I typed "SSHCrack 22" and saw a box of multi-coloured
ciphertext pop up and a little animation of the digits being
progressively matched up, I thought "oh man, this is cool!" After the
400th time of watching that same identical animation? Yeah, maybe not
quite so much. Still, overall I think this is a really nicely done game,
and I'm glad I played it. Even if it *is* short as hell!

last time you got multiple hours of gameplay out of 100MB? ;-)

Not sure it has much replay value though... Really the gameplay needs to
get more complicated / varied before it's worth making a bigger version
of the game. But it would be really exciting if they do...

Post a reply to this message

> I enjoy how you can operate the whole game using just the GUI, or using
> just the CLI. That's a nice touch. Not wishing to spoil *too* much, but
> there's a point in the game where *you* get hacked. All the hacker
> actually does is delete your X configuration file and crash your system.
> So it reboots and then... no GUI. You have to somehow restore the X
> configuration file to get the GUI back.

Ahh... Memories of installing Slackware from floopies 20 years ago.
READMEs warning that bad xfree86 settings could burn your monitor...
Those were the days.

> The CLI tries to be a Unix environment. If you've never used a computer
> before, this is a passable emulation. If you actually get paid money to
> use Unix systems all day... not so much. I keep wanting to use commands
> that don't exist! Who the hell uses "cat" to view files?

Depending on the length of the file, cat can be easier as you don't have
to hit spacebar to get out of it.  Also, on some systems, Gnutils may
not be installed for various reasons.

Yes, knowing what's the best tool for the job helps, but sometimes you
need to be resourcefull.

> last time you got multiple hours of gameplay out of 100MB? ;-)

POVRay3.7
;)