POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet : Re: Hacknet Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:53:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hacknet
From: Stephen
Date: 2 Nov 2015 11:53:35
Message: <5637950f$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/2/2015 4:07 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 03:48 PM, Stephen wrote:

>> Please sir, please sir. I've seen it.
>
> You've seen it?

No, I've just proved that I don't read properly. <Blush>

> You've seen a ship with black sails, that's crewed by the damned, and
> captained by a map SO EVIL that Hell itself spat him back out?

Seen it! I crewed it. And the stories are wrong. We were slandered by
those damn Geeks. ;-)

> No, wait, wrong file...
>
> You've seen a monitor break because somebody drove it with the wrong
> scanrate?

In a way. The frequency should have been 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz. The 220
Vac instead of 110 Vac might have been a factor as well. ;-)

>> When I worked on the rigs. The control room operators would keep the
>> same screens on their monitors 24 hours a day. After a few years you
>> could see the ghost images burnt into the screens.
>
> I've seen a ghost image burned into the screen on an iMac. Which is
> weird, because I didn't think LCDs even *do* that! o_O

I've not seen that myself but I've heard others say it.

> Now here's a question: Why does printing white text shift the
> corresponding scanlines left slightly?

I don't know. Why does printing white text shift the corresponding
scanlines left slightly?

Boom! Boom! ;-)

>> As for the high pitch whine. That generally is the fly back transformer.
>> I agree you should not be able to hear it but I never had a monitor fail
>> because of it. It is not like an incandescent light bulb where that is a
>> sign it will fail soon. (For variable values of soon. ;-) )
>
> I remember the day I walked into one of the classrooms, and three people
> were transfixed by a lightbulb. And I'm guys "guys, WTF? Haven't you
> seen a light before?" And they were like "no, LISTEN..."
>
> And it was making a bizarre sound like some kind of synthesizer. And we
> stood and watched it for maybe a minute, and then it just turned itself
> off...

Turned off or blew?
I just tried googling it and did not find an answer. Most of the
articles were about lamps on dimmer circuits. When I have heard a light
bulb singing. It was before dimmers were common.
Invariably the bulb would blow within a week or so.

--

Regards
     Stephen