POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet : Re: Hacknet Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:02:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hacknet
From: scott
Date: 3 Nov 2015 03:06:03
Message: <56386aeb$1@news.povray.org>
>> When I worked on the rigs. The control room operators would keep the
>> same screens on their monitors 24 hours a day. After a few years you
>> could see the ghost images burnt into the screens.

Someone had installed plasma screens above every gate in Munich airport
when I used to go there a lot. When a flight was not departing it just
showed a default static "Lufthansa" logo. As you can imagine all the
screens ended up with a horrible ghost image on them. Plasma screens are
possibly the worst for burn-in.

> I've seen a ghost image burned into the screen on an iMac. Which is
> weird, because I didn't think LCDs even *do* that! o_O

They will easily burn if the time-average voltage across the pixel is
not zero volts (they switch between + and - every frame). Obviously
exactly zero volts is impossible, but the further away from zero you are
the faster you will burn in that pixel. So it depends on the quality of
your driver electronics.

If you're destructively-minded you may have realised that if you were to
display black one frame and white the next frame, then repeat, this will
create a massive non-zero average voltage on the pixel. And yes this
will cause damage eventually. Note that screens don't normally do all
pixels with the same polarity, it might do one column +, one column -
(or row by row, or in a checkerboard pattern), then flip for the next
frame. That's what this page is meant to figure out, assuming your
monitor electronics are non-ideal then the pattern that matches will
flicker slightly:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

> Now here's a question: Why does printing white text shift the
> corresponding scanlines left slightly?

On a CRT? I remember that if you drew a white rectangle around the edge
of the screen, then flipped the inside between black and white and shape
of the screen would change massively. I believe it's because the extra
current needed to draw all the "white" slightly reduces the voltage from
the PSU which is also used to control the timing/geometry, so the shape
of the picture will change based on the average brightness of the image.