POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet : Re: Hacknet Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hacknet
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 2 Nov 2015 09:07:39
Message: <56376e2b@news.povray.org>

> I enjoy how you can operate the whole game using just the GUI, or using
> just the CLI. That's a nice touch. Not wishing to spoil *too* much, but
> there's a point in the game where *you* get hacked. All the hacker
> actually does is delete your X configuration file and crash your system.
> So it reboots and then... no GUI. You have to somehow restore the X
> configuration file to get the GUI back.

Ahh... Memories of installing Slackware from floopies 20 years ago.
READMEs warning that bad xfree86 settings could burn your monitor...
Those were the days.

> The CLI tries to be a Unix environment. If you've never used a computer
> before, this is a passable emulation. If you actually get paid money to
> use Unix systems all day... not so much. I keep wanting to use commands
> that don't exist! Who the hell uses "cat" to view files?

Depending on the length of the file, cat can be easier as you don't have
to hit spacebar to get out of it.  Also, on some systems, Gnutils may
not be installed for various reasons.

Yes, knowing what's the best tool for the job helps, but sometimes you
need to be resourcefull.

> last time you got multiple hours of gameplay out of 100MB? ;-)

POVRay3.7
;)