POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hacknet : Re: Hacknet Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hacknet
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Nov 2015 11:07:18
Message: <56378a36$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/11/2015 03:48 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 11/2/2015 2:46 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Heh, yeah. I think the whole "burn your monitor" thing is just people
>> wanting to cover their butt; I've never heard of anybody actually
>> breaking a monitor this way. Sometimes you get some rather weird video.
>> Sometimes the CRT makes that weird sound. (Pro-tip: You shouldn't be
>> able to *hear* what your CRT is doing!) But mostly you just get a black
>> screen.
>

> Please sir, please sir. I've seen it.

You've seen it?

You've seen a ship with black sails, that's crewed by the damned, and
captained by a map SO EVIL that Hell itself spat him back out?

No, wait, wrong file...

You've seen a monitor break because somebody drove it with the wrong
scanrate?

> When I worked on the rigs. The control room operators would keep the
> same screens on their monitors 24 hours a day. After a few years you
> could see the ghost images burnt into the screens.

I've seen a ghost image burned into the screen on an iMac. Which is
weird, because I didn't think LCDs even *do* that! o_O

Now here's a question: Why does printing white text shift the
corresponding scanlines left slightly?

> As for the high pitch whine. That generally is the fly back transformer.
> I agree you should not be able to hear it but I never had a monitor fail
> because of it. It is not like an incandescent light bulb where that is a
> sign it will fail soon. (For variable values of soon. ;-) )

I remember the day I walked into one of the classrooms, and three people
were transfixed by a lightbulb. And I'm guys "guys, WTF? Haven't you
seen a light before?" And they were like "no, LISTEN..."

And it was making a bizarre sound like some kind of synthesizer. And we
stood and watched it for maybe a minute, and then it just turned itself
off...