POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:54:26 EDT (-0400)
  Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser
Date: 26 Jul 2015 09:19:59
Message: <55b4de7f@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2015 01:47 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 24/07/2015 06:57 PM, scott wrote:
>> Hmmm odd, I wonder why that is. I just tested it on my work PC (nVidia
>> Quadro something) and it worked ok.
>>
>> Maybe it's something to do with the length of the shader? You could try
>> reducing the number of samples down to 1 (line 39) and the trace depth
>> down to 2 or something (line 118), that should make the shader much
>> shorter.
>
> I too was able to get this working by turning down the number of samples
> and the trace depth.

I presume it looks weird due to the limited trace depth. (?)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'webgl.jpg' (108 KB)

Preview of image 'webgl.jpg'
webgl.jpg

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 Jul 2015 10:11:47
Message: <55b4eaa3$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2015 06:00 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 24/07/2015 04:05 PM, scott wrote:
>> * One of the hardest bits is to get a random number generator running on
>> the GPU that is random enough to not show any patterns after a while.
>> There is still some subtle non-randomness visible, but it's way better
>> than it was originally. That's why there's random bits of code like
>> rng.x = sin(r1 - FrameNumber) in there. It seems to do the job.
>
> Ah yes - it's not like you can just run the Mersenne Twister on a GPU...
> ;-)

...actually, apparently you *can* run MT on a GPU. o_O

Trouble is, it's laughably slow.

Have you seen this? The accepted answer looks simplish...

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/337782/pseudo-random-number-generation-on-the-gpu

Post a reply to this message

On 26/07/2015 14:19, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 26/07/2015 01:47 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 24/07/2015 06:57 PM, scott wrote:
>>> Hmmm odd, I wonder why that is. I just tested it on my work PC (nVidia
>>> Quadro something) and it worked ok.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's something to do with the length of the shader? You could try
>>> reducing the number of samples down to 1 (line 39) and the trace depth
>>> down to 2 or something (line 118), that should make the shader much
>>> shorter.
>>
>> I too was able to get this working by turning down the number of samples
>> and the trace depth.
>
> I presume it looks weird due to the limited trace depth. (?)

Yes it's probably highlighting the limitations in the RNG by only have a
low trace depth. I uploaded a video of what it looks like here (samples
40, trace depth 8) - woohoo for compressing noisy video!

https://youtu.be/rXQa5kHspFk

It only works with powers of two because your graphics card only allows
power of two sized textures, and I'm not doing anything clever to check
for powered-of-two-ness of the canvas size and creating bigger textures...

Also it's strange after staring at grainy images for a while your
eye/brain just filters it out and you don't notice it. It's only when
you then switch to a smooth image you go "wow that's really smooth" :-)

Post a reply to this message

> On 26/07/2015 14:19, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> I presume it looks weird due to the limited trace depth. (?)
>
> Yes it's probably highlighting the limitations in the RNG by only have a
> low trace depth. I uploaded a video of what it looks like here (samples
> 40, trace depth 8) - woohoo for compressing noisy video!
>
> https://youtu.be/rXQa5kHspFk

Damn, your graphics card is *drastically* faster than mine... (When I
pan the image, it comes out yellow for the first half a dozen frames.)

Apparently it's time to buy a more expensive GPU.

> It only works with powers of two because your graphics card only allows
> power of two sized textures, and I'm not doing anything clever to check
> for powered-of-two-ness of the canvas size and creating bigger textures...
>
> Also it's strange after staring at grainy images for a while your
> eye/brain just filters it out and you don't notice it. It's only when
> you then switch to a smooth image you go "wow that's really smooth" :-)

As I say, I never get to see it completely smooth. But hey, I guess I
need a bigger stick. ;-)

I wonder... how long will it be before games look like this in realtime?
(I'm guessing a while, since this scene contains a piffling half a dozen
bits of trivial geometry.)

Post a reply to this message