POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser : Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday afternoon project: a real time ray tracer in your browser
From: scott
Date: 26 Jul 2015 14:16:23
Message: <55b523f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2015 14:19, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 26/07/2015 01:47 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 24/07/2015 06:57 PM, scott wrote:
>>> Hmmm odd, I wonder why that is. I just tested it on my work PC (nVidia
>>> Quadro something) and it worked ok.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's something to do with the length of the shader? You could try
>>> reducing the number of samples down to 1 (line 39) and the trace depth
>>> down to 2 or something (line 118), that should make the shader much
>>> shorter.
>>
>> I too was able to get this working by turning down the number of samples
>> and the trace depth.
>
> I presume it looks weird due to the limited trace depth. (?)

Yes it's probably highlighting the limitations in the RNG by only have a
low trace depth. I uploaded a video of what it looks like here (samples
40, trace depth 8) - woohoo for compressing noisy video!

https://youtu.be/rXQa5kHspFk

It only works with powers of two because your graphics card only allows
power of two sized textures, and I'm not doing anything clever to check
for powered-of-two-ness of the canvas size and creating bigger textures...

Also it's strange after staring at grainy images for a while your
eye/brain just filters it out and you don't notice it. It's only when
you then switch to a smooth image you go "wow that's really smooth" :-)