POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Blender3D now on Steam (Message 41 to 50 of 70)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Blender3D now on Steam
Date: 28 Apr 2015 13:07:17
Message: <553fbe45$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/04/2015 08:42 AM, scott wrote:
>> What, charge the customer the maximum amount of money they will pay?
>> Isn't that how business operates?
>
> If you can afford to have individual price negotations with each
> customer then yes, that is a good strategy, and is actually the one used
> for many things. eg when you buy a car the salesman's job is to get you
> to buy the car for the maximum amount you are willing to. This could
> result in the next person through the door buying the exact same car for
> £1000 more or less than you just paid.
>
> At the other end of the scale you have a tin of beans in a supermarket,
> the price of that is decided to maximise profit. They need to look at
> how the estimated sales volumes depend on price, and choose the best
> point on that graph. Of course in reality there are many complicating
> factors that would skew the price away from this (eg loss-leaders,
> promotions, "value" and "high quality" branded versions, etc).

That all makes sense.

> I have no idea how cryengine is sold (internet blocks most game-related
> pages here) but I could well imagine their big customers pretty much
> demand some level of negotiation on the price and terms etc. What
> business doesn't?

As I say, I would imagine the big customers are the *only* customers,
and when you're expecting a game to make XXX million sales, you demand a
big, fat cut in royalties.

...then again, maybe they aren't doing so well lately, which is why it's
on Steam in the first place? IDK.

Post a reply to this message