POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam : Re: Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender3D now on Steam
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Apr 2015 17:26:26
Message: <553ffb02$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:07:31 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> As I say, I would imagine the big customers are the *only* customers,
> and when you're expecting a game to make XXX million sales, you demand a
> big, fat cut in royalties.

Indie gaming shops aren't "big customers".  But as I pointed to in the
link, at least with the $9.90/month (or whatever it is) subscription,
there is a *0* royalty paid.

> ...then again, maybe they aren't doing so well lately, which is why it's
> on Steam in the first place? IDK.

Software subscription models are very different than perpetual license
models.  With a perpetual license (ie, you buy the software, it's yours,
and maybe you upgrade, maybe you don't) don't provide stable income into
a company, which makes it a lot more difficult to project future growth
for the company.

Software subscriptions have the potential to make it easier to project
future growth - unless you completely piss off your customers so they
drop the subscription.  You always have some attrition, but most
"schedule and forget" payments end up keeping people paying for things
they're not necessarily using (though in some markets, that's not always
the case - SaaS models that involve data storage or some level of
incorporation of a customer's data tend to be easier to justify because
you have a cost involved in migrating away from the solution).

I imagine for the CryTek, the subscription model is more lucrative than
licensing to a few people - you get hobbyists who want to play with it
who could never afford to pay the $1.2 million (yes, I looked it up -
that was the cost reported in 2012 - so I owe you an apology, because
while it's not "millions" it is > 1 million.  So my apologies for coming
down quite as hard as I did.) licensing fee now have a professional level
tool they can access for a reasonable price.  Lower price, larger market,
increases revenue.  Instead of 10 people paying $1.2 million (netting $12
million in perpetual licensing fees), they can get, say, 100,000 people
paying $10/month - or $120/year - which is a net of $12 million.

Those 100,000 people keep paying into year 2, but they keep acquiring new
customers, and now your year over year goes up past $12 million per year
- you have recurring revenue that far, far, *far* outstrips the money you
made selling perpetual licenses to 10 customers.

Jim