POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small 3D mystery Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:39:40 EDT (-0400)
  A small 3D mystery (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: A small 3D mystery
Date: 11 Jan 2015 10:04:21
Message: <54b290f5$1@news.povray.org>
So here's a thing I've never understood... Why do so many 3D games have
trouble getting two objects to touch each other?

For example, that scene from FarCry 3 where you present Citra with the
knife. It's pretty-much a cut-scene, yet even here, the mighty CryEngine
seems to be struggling to get the knife to rest *on* Citra's hands,
rather than partially intersecting them.

Why is that?

I can understand that it's hard to do the physics of simulating complex
non-flat (and possibly deformable) objects resting on each other. (Hence
the ubiquitous flailing rag-dolls.) But this is a pre-scripted
animation. You've GOT the coordinates of Citra's hands RIGHT THERE! (And
they're always the same.) How hard can it be?

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:04:21 +0200, Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> So here's a thing I've never understood... Why do so many 3D games have
> trouble getting two objects to touch each other?
>
> For example, that scene from FarCry 3 where you present Citra with the
> knife. It's pretty-much a cut-scene, yet even here, the mighty CryEngine
> seems to be struggling to get the knife to rest *on* Citra's hands,
> rather than partially intersecting them.

Not CryEngine
Dunia Engine 2

> Why is that?
>
> I can understand that it's hard to do the physics of simulating complex
> non-flat (and possibly deformable) objects resting on each other. (Hence
> the ubiquitous flailing rag-dolls.) But this is a pre-scripted
> animation. You've GOT the coordinates of Citra's hands RIGHT THERE! (And
> they're always the same.) How hard can it be?

Probably deadlines or laziness or both.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message