POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small 3D mystery : Re: A small 3D mystery Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small 3D mystery
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 17 Jan 2015 07:36:13
Message: <54ba573d$1@news.povray.org>
> As Nekar replied already, I'm pretty sure the animator in question would
> not be allowed to spend any more than the absolute minimum amount of
> time to get one object in one part of one cut-scene looking ok. They
> might even "rough out" any special objects/movements and then only come
> back and improve them if there is time at the end whilst waiting for
> other parts to complete ("must haves" vs "nice to haves").

As I say, I would have thought it would be *easier* to just set the
coordinates of the knife to be equal to the coordinates of the hands.
What they *actually* did seems like more effort.

> Then you've got the technical challenge of a rigid object pressing
> against a very soft object. If you treated the hand as rigid then it
> might look stranger than allowing a bit of intersection, IDK. I can't
> say I remember noticing any defect at that point in the cut-scene, is
> that the last bit at the end of the game or earlier?

It's not just this one particular game. It's every 3D game I've ever
played where you see one character hand something to another. It's
weird; when Alyx draws her gun, you never see the gun clipping through
her fingers. But when she picks an object up off the table, the object
doesn't *quite* follow the motion of her hands exactly... Why would you
bother animating those moves twice?