POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. (Message 31 to 40 of 119)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money ToPeopleWhoBreakTheLaw.HeAnswersPoorly.
Date: 25 Sep 2014 03:27:01
Message: <5423c3c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/09/2014 00:21, Doctor John wrote:
> On 24/09/14 23:53, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> Stranger in a strange land.
>>

> Yay, Heinlein :-)

And Mike really did make good soup. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Sep 2014 03:54:13
Message: <5423ca25$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-9-2014 11:12, Saul Luizaga wrote:
everything interacts with everything, is simply obvious, Carl
> Sagan also noticed in his series Cosmos: In order to survive, Earth must
> be seen as a single organism, and an organism in war with itself is
> doomed, or somethings similar, Climate Change another fact proving this,
> so we're connected more than you think we do and most people are as
> shortsighted as you are.

Only, Carl Sagan got it wrong. The Earth is not at war with itself. The
/Earth/ doesn't give a damn about the survival of /humans/ because that
is what Carl Sagan implies in reality. It does what it has done for
billions of years: evolve through constantly changing conditions,
sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes teeming with life, sometimes
almost barren. If /one/ species (humans) suddenly (geologically
speaking) make conditions unacceptable for them, that species just dies
out and Earth goes on with business-as-usual. /That/ is the reality.
What Carl Sagan said concerns Carl Sagan, and his fellow human beings.

Which does not mean we should do nothing, but we should not attribute
human 'emotions' to a natural system.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message