POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  I bought a new laptop (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: I bought a new laptop
Date: 10 Apr 2014 12:47:23
Message: <5346cb1b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 08:15:26 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Heck, in OpenSUSE 13.1, they even took away the scrollbar and replaced
>>> it with a page-selector widget. The entire design seems focused on
>>> touchscreens.
>>
>> I run 13.1 on two machines every day with GNOME3.  I've no idea what
>> you're talking about - I've got scrollbars in my newsreader (pan), for
>> example, and they work like scrollbars.
>
> https://news.opensuse.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Application-
Launching-GNOME-13.1.png

> You see those three dots on the right-hand edge? That used to be a
> scrollbar. And now it's three dots. Clicking one takes you to that page.
> Because clicking a dot is easy, but dragging a scrollbar is hard, when
> all you have is a touchscreen.

I don't actually see that when I go to the activities screen.  I see the
apps that are running.

But I would be surprised if the mouse scrollwheel doesn't let you switch
from page to page there.

In applications themselves (which is what I thought you were talking
about, and what I was talking about), the scrollbar is present if needed.

>> Yep, and you can see the effects of this with some poorly written
>> extensions.  The GNOME developers *really* need to harden the error
>> handling a bit more.
>
> Tell me about it. Right about the time they start *documenting* how this
> stuff is meant to work. (I still find it astonishing that this much code
> has been written given that there is NO DOCUMENTATION!)

Well, I'm sure there's some, and it's not the source code, but I haven't
needed to write an extension yet, so I haven't really gone looking for it
yet.

But if I were, I might be inclined to look at the code for another
extension to see how it does it.

>> And the extensions system in GNOME3 has allowed those who preferred
>> GNOME2 to get some semblance of the functionality they were used to.
>>
>> I don't really care about the DE myself; GNOME3 is less distracting for
>> me than KDE, which is why I use it - I'm more interested in apps and
>> getting work done than tweaking my desktop endlessly. ;)
>
> Yeah, well, we're trying to alter the DE so that you can only run our
> app with it. That's quite a non-standard task...

I think there is a lockdown app for openSUSE.  You might ask on the
openSUSE forums if anyone has experience with doing that sort of thing.

Jim

>>> Yep, and you can see the effects of this with some poorly written
>>> extensions.  The GNOME developers *really* need to harden the error
>>> handling a bit more.
>>
>> Tell me about it. Right about the time they start *documenting* how this
>> stuff is meant to work. (I still find it astonishing that this much code
>> has been written given that there is NO DOCUMENTATION!)
>
> Well, I'm sure there's some, and it's not the source code, but I haven't
> needed to write an extension yet, so I haven't really gone looking for it
> yet.
>
> But if I were, I might be inclined to look at the code for another
> extension to see how it does it.

...and thus, if one person finds a flawed but superficially working way
to do something, everybody will copy their mistake. Because there's no
documentation on the "correct" way to do it.

Even then, I'm surprised this much code has been written. I spent
literally *weeks* trying to comprehend the code of several extensions I
looked at. To this day I literally cannot work out how the hell it
actually works. It's just SO COMPLICATED to do even the most trivial
task with this stuff...

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:27:33 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Tell me about it. Right about the time they start *documenting* how
>>> this stuff is meant to work. (I still find it astonishing that this
>>> much code has been written given that there is NO DOCUMENTATION!)
>>
>> Well, I'm sure there's some, and it's not the source code, but I
>> haven't needed to write an extension yet, so I haven't really gone
>> looking for it yet.
>>
>> But if I were, I might be inclined to look at the code for another
>> extension to see how it does it.
>
> ...and thus, if one person finds a flawed but superficially working way
> to do something, everybody will copy their mistake. Because there's no
> documentation on the "correct" way to do it.

I don't debate that, but I would tend to use code from a well-thought-of
extension.  You can get some credibility from the GNOME developers.

> Even then, I'm surprised this much code has been written. I spent
> literally *weeks* trying to comprehend the code of several extensions I
> looked at. To this day I literally cannot work out how the hell it
> actually works. It's just SO COMPLICATED to do even the most trivial
> task with this stuff...

I do agree that better documentation is needed, along with sample code.

Jim