POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Apr 2014 00:38:38
Message: <534a14ce$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 00:22:54 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> fdisk
>>
> That's looking like a very attractive option. ATM.

:)

> I've spent most of the day trying to make this Win8 machine, and I use
> that word loosely, dual boot. I've created partitions, I've deleted
> partitions, I've made bootable thumb drives. I've been unable to boot at
> all. I've changed settings in the BIOS as if I were testing a truth
> table.
> But at least I have three logical discs instead on one big one.
> And to top it all. Elite Dangerous wont run on it. And runs like a pig
> on my old one.

Dual booting what?  One of the odd things with Win8 is that it's got this
"fast boot" option that caches some stuff (as I understand it) and that
"feature" speeds up Win8 booting at the expense of dual boot
functionality being horribly broken and nonfunctional.

> Not to mention Thomas will be bending my ear because I should have been
> talking to the TC-RTC's coder. </end guilt>
>
> That is coming along well, by the way and we should be ready to test
> running two Challenges in parallel. Very soon. :-D
>

>> Install openSUSE.;)
>
> Only if you set it up for me. ;-)

Remotely is a bit of a challenge.  Is it a UEFI system with secure
boot? :)

> Dr John promised he would do it, years ago. Now he has gone AWOL again.
> I'll take it into to work and see if I can bribe one of the IT guys with
> two pizza to F*ck it up really good. :-)

Maybe we just need to start another game to get him to reappear. ;)

> If I'm going to break the warranty I'll do it properly.

I never worry about breaking the warranty - worst case, you wipe the
drive and say "I dunno what happened". :)

Jim