POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Apr 2014 13:43:32
Message: <534accc4$1@news.povray.org>
>> And that might well be your problem. UEFI doesn't use the boot block *at
>> all* during the boot process; it uses its own completely new system of
>> booting...
>
> So I found out.
>
> Does message ring a bell?
>
> Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the
> GPT partition style.

The whole thing should eventually make everybody's lives *easier*. GPT
is much simpler and more sane than the existing MBR nonsense. And the
EFI boot process is much simpler and easier to manage, with a butt-load
of useful new features.

Trouble is, all this stuff is brand-new. And consequently, a lot of it
seems to be buggy as hell! I couldn't even get the OpenSUSE installation
DVD to *boot* on our test laptop until I reflashed the firmware.
Apparently the firmware it was shipped with doesn't implement half the
functionality correctly, and it's only once you've updated it that
things start to work right.

The other sad thing is... EFI offers a whole bunch of new functionality
that is supposed to make our lives easier. But everybody is only
bothering to implement the parts of EFI required for Win8 certification.
(And sometimes not even all of that!) So it looks like all the old hacks
and workarounds for the BIOS being rubbish are going to be replaced by a
whole new generation of hacks and workarounds for EFI not being
implemented properly... *sigh*