POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 10 Apr 2014 13:27:26
Message: <5346d47e$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Yep, and you can see the effects of this with some poorly written
>>> extensions.  The GNOME developers *really* need to harden the error
>>> handling a bit more.
>>
>> Tell me about it. Right about the time they start *documenting* how this
>> stuff is meant to work. (I still find it astonishing that this much code
>> has been written given that there is NO DOCUMENTATION!)
>
> Well, I'm sure there's some, and it's not the source code, but I haven't
> needed to write an extension yet, so I haven't really gone looking for it
> yet.
>
> But if I were, I might be inclined to look at the code for another
> extension to see how it does it.

...and thus, if one person finds a flawed but superficially working way
to do something, everybody will copy their mistake. Because there's no
documentation on the "correct" way to do it.

Even then, I'm surprised this much code has been written. I spent
literally *weeks* trying to comprehend the code of several extensions I
looked at. To this day I literally cannot work out how the hell it
actually works. It's just SO COMPLICATED to do even the most trivial
task with this stuff...