POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Apr 2014 12:47:23
Message: <5346cb1b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 08:15:26 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Heck, in OpenSUSE 13.1, they even took away the scrollbar and replaced
>>> it with a page-selector widget. The entire design seems focused on
>>> touchscreens.
>>
>> I run 13.1 on two machines every day with GNOME3.  I've no idea what
>> you're talking about - I've got scrollbars in my newsreader (pan), for
>> example, and they work like scrollbars.
>
> https://news.opensuse.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Application-
Launching-GNOME-13.1.png

> You see those three dots on the right-hand edge? That used to be a
> scrollbar. And now it's three dots. Clicking one takes you to that page.
> Because clicking a dot is easy, but dragging a scrollbar is hard, when
> all you have is a touchscreen.

I don't actually see that when I go to the activities screen.  I see the
apps that are running.

But I would be surprised if the mouse scrollwheel doesn't let you switch
from page to page there.

In applications themselves (which is what I thought you were talking
about, and what I was talking about), the scrollbar is present if needed.

>> Yep, and you can see the effects of this with some poorly written
>> extensions.  The GNOME developers *really* need to harden the error
>> handling a bit more.
>
> Tell me about it. Right about the time they start *documenting* how this
> stuff is meant to work. (I still find it astonishing that this much code
> has been written given that there is NO DOCUMENTATION!)

Well, I'm sure there's some, and it's not the source code, but I haven't
needed to write an extension yet, so I haven't really gone looking for it
yet.

But if I were, I might be inclined to look at the code for another
extension to see how it does it.

>> And the extensions system in GNOME3 has allowed those who preferred
>> GNOME2 to get some semblance of the functionality they were used to.
>>
>> I don't really care about the DE myself; GNOME3 is less distracting for
>> me than KDE, which is why I use it - I'm more interested in apps and
>> getting work done than tweaking my desktop endlessly. ;)
>
> Yeah, well, we're trying to alter the DE so that you can only run our
> app with it. That's quite a non-standard task...

I think there is a lockdown app for openSUSE.  You might ask on the
openSUSE forums if anyone has experience with doing that sort of thing.

Jim