POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  I bought a new laptop (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: I bought a new laptop
Date: 7 Apr 2014 20:52:47
Message: <5343485f$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 19:06:49 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 07/04/2014 2:12 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> 13.1 is a long term support release, so it won't need to be updated
>> after the end of the regular 18-month support cycle (other than being
>> pointed at the "Evergreen" repositories that make it an LTS release).
>>

> Run that by me again. In English. :-P

openSUSE normal release cycle is 8 months (give or take).  The policy is
to support current + last release, with a 2 month overlap for the
previous release.  So, version 12.1 (for example) was supported until the
release of 12.3 + 2 months (18 months later).

LTS = Long Term Support.  Means it's supported for longer than the normal
18-month support cycle.

>> That bad, huh?
>>

> No, but if you have the option...
>
> I don't want my PC/Laptop to pretend it is an android device.

Windows 8 is a poor substitute for Android. ;)

>> I know the feeling.  Not quite as fuddy or duddy, (you can have the
>> crown for fuddiness and for duddiness for now).
>
> I don't mind which castle I'm king of. :-)

LOL

> Actually, I play on the fact that I am old. That and the stereotypical
> Jock (means Scot for those other Americans) is a born enjineer. ;-)
> Hoots mon! Ye daena ken whit is wis like when 9600 baud wis state o' the
> art. ;-)

You play the role well. :)

>> I'm starting a new contract that runs through July 1 tomorrow,
>
> Congrats.

Thanks!

>> and the client is sending me a laptop - could be Windows, could be a
>> Mac.  I can work with either (the company uses Macs almost
>> exclusively), but I definitely prefer running Linux on my systems.
>
> The last time I used or repaired a Mac was 20 years ago.
> A bit longer for Unix.

Last time I used a Mac for anything serious was when I was in high
school.  I have some familiarity with OSX (I installed it in a VM so I
could just fiddle with it a bit and know a bit about it), but the tools
this client needs me to work with are mostly Windows apps.

*nix has changed a bit.  You'd probably settle into Linux pretty easily,
though.

Jim