POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Apr 2014 16:05:01
Message: <web.534455cbdbd6241a352a052d0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 07/04/2014 23:48, nemesis a écrit :
> > Got one these days for my daughter as well, a laptop.  Most probably, the last
> > desktop computing device I'm buying.  I have consoles for games and do pretty
> > much everything else on my android phone - of course, at work I still use a
> > handy "mainframe".
> >
> > I long for the day when you just get home, connect it to a TV set and bluetooth
> > input and is ready for "serious work".  still not quite there, either in the
> > software landscape or ease for connection (still kinda clunky, with wires and
> > such)
> >

> It's coming... hdmi plug, small usb cable for powersupply (as long as
> your tv as a usb port)
>

> > http://linuxgizmos.com/hdmi-stick-mini-pc-runs-android-on-quad-core-arm-cortex-a9/
>
> August 2013... the time has come!

quite cool but still not quite

on one side we have media streamers like Chromecast, AppleTV, Amazon FireTV

on the other we have devices like that, PCs in a thumbstick which will only
function when connected to a display

my smartphone already has a display!  I just want to get home and easily connect
it to a larger display and keyboard.

Easy but not not cheap with bluetooth keyboards, cheap but clunky with miniUSB.
Kind clunky connecting to the TV because there's many ways:  you can try to find
some hdmi cable to your device, or try to mirror some other way, and most ways
do nothing but just stream media.  not cool

anyway, soon will be wearing pieces of interconnected devices.  Have you guys
read Accelerando?  :)