POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Apr 2014 20:55:05
Message: <534348e9$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 21:53:49 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> When we updated all our stuff to OpenSUSE 12.2, we found that it comes
> with GNOME 3, which is basically just like GNOME 2, except designed to
> only work on a Tablet.

Well, no, that wasn't the design goal (as I understand it), but I use
GNOME3 daily, and I like its minimalistic approach.

The only thing I absolutely hate about it is when a plugin dies, it
crashes the entire session with an "Oh, no!  Something happened!" and an
option to log out.  I would at /least/ like to save documents I have open
before being forced to log out.

Whoever thought that was a good idea spent far too much time dealing with
systems where everything runs in ring 0 and an abend was generally
considered a good thing.  We're past those days now, and being able to
recover, say, a running virtual machine might just be a /good/ thing.

Jim