POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That was fun - not Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  That was fun - not (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: That was fun - not
Date: 14 Mar 2014 05:45:09
Message: <5322cfa5@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/14 08:47, scott wrote:

> I'm thinking of connecting up my raspberry pi directly to the router and
> logging the ping to the BT servers every minute to a text file 24/7.
> There's probably an easy linux command to do that...

Try 'ping -i 60 www.google.com >> pingfile.txt'

Note that I've used Google rather than BT - a little bit of thought will
tell you why.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Mar 2014 06:14:12
Message: <5322d674@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/14 00:18, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Eep, I hope Feegle is doing better.  We've done the "child with breathing
> difficulties" thing once (no surgery ended up being required - it was a
> severe asthma attack - but it's still a scary thing), so I empathize.

He's going to have the operation on April 15th - I think it will take
until then to calm the Kat's fears. Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on a bed in
his room so that I can intervene when he gets sleep apnoea. It's amazing
how sensitive my hearing has become; soft snoring, no problem, lack of
sound and I'm instantly awake.

> We've had our own batch of unfortunate medical issues - mostly with the
> two older cats (12 teeth to extract between the two of them and one who's
> managed to cut the skin open on his right side, and we don't know how -
> he's getting stitched up right now), and I had a trip to the ER last week
> for a kidney stone.

The surgeons (of all types) must love seeing you walk in ;-) $$$$$

> That's an excellent idea - I didn't know you had background in training -
> I've done my own fair share of training development, delivery, and
> managing programs.  Small world.

My own fault, really. I have always been a passionate advocate of
training per se and when the position became vacant, the previous
incumbent having gone to join Glaxo-Smith-Kline, I was the only one
prepared to put my money where my mouth was.
Seriously though, I enjoyed my few years there and would do the same if
I was asked again.

John

Le 2014-03-14 06:12, Doctor John a écrit :
> On 14/03/14 00:18, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Eep, I hope Feegle is doing better.  We've done the "child with breathing
>> difficulties" thing once (no surgery ended up being required - it was a
>> severe asthma attack - but it's still a scary thing), so I empathize.
>>

> He's going to have the operation on April 15th - I think it will take
> until then to calm the Kat's fears. Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on a bed in
> his room so that I can intervene when he gets sleep apnoea. It's amazing
> how sensitive my hearing has become; soft snoring, no problem, lack of
> sound and I'm instantly awake.

Speaking of which...

Two little boys were in a hospital bedroom.

Timmy:  So?  What are you in for?
Samuel:  Getting my tonsils removed.
Timmy:  Ah.  I had that when I was 7.  Best. Thing. Ever.  No school for
a week, and all the ice cream you want!
Samuel:  Cool.  And you?
Timmy: Circumcision.
Samuel:  Yikes!  I had one when I was born... It took me a year before I
could walk!

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:12:28 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> On 14/03/14 00:18, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Eep, I hope Feegle is doing better.  We've done the "child with
>> breathing difficulties" thing once (no surgery ended up being required
>> - it was a severe asthma attack - but it's still a scary thing), so I
>> empathize.
>>

> He's going to have the operation on April 15th - I think it will take
> until then to calm the Kat's fears. Meanwhile, I'm sleeping on a bed in
> his room so that I can intervene when he gets sleep apnoea. It's amazing
> how sensitive my hearing has become; soft snoring, no problem, lack of
> sound and I'm instantly awake.

It is amazing how readily a parent notices things like that - when Ken
was younger, I had a similar experience on more than one occasion.

>> We've had our own batch of unfortunate medical issues - mostly with the
>> two older cats (12 teeth to extract between the two of them and one
>> who's managed to cut the skin open on his right side, and we don't know
>> how - he's getting stitched up right now), and I had a trip to the ER
>> last week for a kidney stone.
>>

> The surgeons (of all types) must love seeing you walk in ;-) $$$$$

Yeah, indeed - all told, about $2K for the teeth extraction.  The "cut"
isn't actually a cut, but a burn (just the top layer of skin was
affected, and he wasn't in pain from it) as a result of what is assumed
to be a faulty heating "pad" used during the dental work - so the vet is
covering the cost of that recovery.

But our youngest cat is a $5K cat with all his health problems (possibly
more than that, in fact).  Sucker lights visible from space, as far as
the fur lumps are concerned.

>> That's an excellent idea - I didn't know you had background in training
>> -
>> I've done my own fair share of training development, delivery, and
>> managing programs.  Small world.
>
> My own fault, really. I have always been a passionate advocate of
> training per se and when the position became vacant, the previous
> incumbent having gone to join Glaxo-Smith-Kline, I was the only one
> prepared to put my money where my mouth was.
> Seriously though, I enjoyed my few years there and would do the same if
> I was asked again.

I really enjoyed my time working in training as well - learned a lot
about learning, which really suited me.  Still looking for something
along those lines while I keep doing the tech writing thing.

Jim

On 14/03/14 14:08, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Two little boys were in a hospital bedroom.
>
> Timmy:  So?  What are you in for?
> Samuel:  Getting my tonsils removed.
> Timmy:  Ah.  I had that when I was 7.  Best. Thing. Ever.  No school for
> a week, and all the ice cream you want!
> Samuel:  Cool.  And you?
> Timmy: Circumcision.
> Samuel:  Yikes!  I had one when I was born... It took me a year before I
> could walk!

ROTFLMAO

John (still laughing)