POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That was fun - not : Re: That was fun - not Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That was fun - not
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Mar 2014 05:54:32
Message: <53242358$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/03/2014 3:58 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 12/03/14 13:37, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>
>> Indians have a respect for authority that is almost as deeply rooted as
>> the Japanese's.  So low-level employees will stick to procedure and not
>> show any initiative, for fear of running afoul of higher ups.  Even if
>> the person you spoke to knew that you were probably right, he needed to
>> follow his script.
>>

> A good point.
>
> There was an article in New Scientist a couple of years ago that related
> the behaviour of bi- and tri-lingual children and teenagers when
> speaking any one of their particular languages. As I recall, a
> Japanese/English speaking kid would be considerably more polite and
> deferential when speaking Japanese than when speaking English.

In my day job. I often work with developers based in India and encounter
similar attitudes. They will not say no to their client. Even when
someone has an unworkable workload they will accept more. When it cannot
be met the reasons always absolve them. The Raj taught them well. ;-)

They on the other hand found it unbelievable that our management

would be no one available for support. (Yet again, the heroes prevailed.)

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.