POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Progress (Message 11 to 20 of 32)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Progress
Date: 27 Jan 2014 11:52:48
Message: <52e68ee0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2014 23:02, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>>> Apparently the command-line version zips along quite nicely on a Pi, but
>>> the GUI is "a little sluggish - but still faster than the original Mac".
>>
>> Not surprising, given the memory constraints on the pi.  Running openELEC
>> on one here, 512 MB of RAM, looks like about half is used in normal
>> circumstances.
>
> Given that Mathematica is presumably all about compute-power, I'd be
> surprised if memory even came into the equation.

Surprise! :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 28 Jan 2014 05:51:35
Message: <52e78bb7$1@news.povray.org>
> Apparently the command-line version zips along quite nicely on a Pi, but
> the GUI is "a little sluggish - but still faster than the original Mac".

I got fed up with trying to run a music player on my pi (xbmc) under
linux, it was stupidly sluggish just navigating menus or responding to
key presses, searching the library was a total joke. So I spent a few
days writing my own one in interpreted *BASIC* (with just the core
search function implemented in assembler for speed) under RiscOS. Now as
soon as you type the next character in your search term the results are
displayed instantly, or navigating the folder structure is pretty much
instantaneous. I can only conclude that the Linux APIs for doing
graphics and file IO are bloated and slow for whatever reason.

Post a reply to this message

>> Apparently the command-line version zips along quite nicely on a Pi, but
>> the GUI is "a little sluggish - but still faster than the original Mac".
>
> I got fed up with trying to run a music player on my pi (xbmc) under
> linux, it was stupidly sluggish just navigating menus or responding to
> key presses, searching the library was a total joke. So I spent a few
> days writing my own one in interpreted *BASIC* (with just the core
> search function implemented in assembler for speed) under RiscOS. Now as
> soon as you type the next character in your search term the results are
> displayed instantly, or navigating the folder structure is pretty much
> instantaneous. I can only conclude that the Linux APIs for doing
> graphics and file IO are bloated and slow for whatever reason.

I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
chip...

Post a reply to this message

> I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
> the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
> faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
> suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
> chip...

Perhaps we could compare Linux to AmigaOS running on a PC at
1920x1080 32bpp.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Le 2014-01-28 15:54, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :
> On 28/01/2014 10:51 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Apparently the command-line version zips along quite nicely on a Pi, but
>>> the GUI is "a little sluggish - but still faster than the original Mac".
>>
>> I got fed up with trying to run a music player on my pi (xbmc) under
>> linux, it was stupidly sluggish just navigating menus or responding to
>> key presses, searching the library was a total joke. So I spent a few
>> days writing my own one in interpreted *BASIC* (with just the core
>> search function implemented in assembler for speed) under RiscOS. Now as
>> soon as you type the next character in your search term the results are
>> displayed instantly, or navigating the folder structure is pretty much
>> instantaneous. I can only conclude that the Linux APIs for doing
>> graphics and file IO are bloated and slow for whatever reason.
>
> I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
> the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
> faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
> suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
> chip...

We've been through this before.  You are comparing the performances of a
go-kart around a tire-track, with that of a tractor-trailer rig around
the same track, and wondering why a lawnmower engine can outrun a 1300HP
supercharged diesel.

On 28/01/14 22:24, Francois Labreque wrote:

> We've been through this before.  You are comparing the performances of a
> go-kart around a tire-track, with that of a tractor-trailer rig around
> the same track, and wondering why a lawnmower engine can outrun a 1300HP
> supercharged diesel.

I love that image :-)

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
>> the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
>> faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
>> suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
>> chip...
>
> Perhaps we could compare Linux to AmigaOS running on a PC at
> 1920x1080 32bpp.

I think comparing Linux to AmigaOS running on the exact same device is a
reasonable comparison. They both have the same hardware to play with,
after all...

Comparing AmigaOS to Linux running on a PC that's 20 years newer ought
to be an unfair comparison. (Which is why it's surprising that AmigaOS
doesn't look laughably underpowered.)

Post a reply to this message