POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress : Re: Progress Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progress
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 29 Jan 2014 03:30:26
Message: <52e8bc22$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/01/2014 09:52 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
>> the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
>> faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
>> suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
>> chip...
>
> Perhaps we could compare Linux to AmigaOS running on a PC at
> 1920x1080 32bpp.

I think comparing Linux to AmigaOS running on the exact same device is a
reasonable comparison. They both have the same hardware to play with,
after all...

Comparing AmigaOS to Linux running on a PC that's 20 years newer ought
to be an unfair comparison. (Which is why it's surprising that AmigaOS
doesn't look laughably underpowered.)