POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress : Re: Progress Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progress
From: scott
Date: 28 Jan 2014 05:51:35
Message: <52e78bb7$1@news.povray.org>
> Apparently the command-line version zips along quite nicely on a Pi, but
> the GUI is "a little sluggish - but still faster than the original Mac".

I got fed up with trying to run a music player on my pi (xbmc) under
linux, it was stupidly sluggish just navigating menus or responding to
key presses, searching the library was a total joke. So I spent a few
days writing my own one in interpreted *BASIC* (with just the core
search function implemented in assembler for speed) under RiscOS. Now as
soon as you type the next character in your search term the results are
displayed instantly, or navigating the folder structure is pretty much
instantaneous. I can only conclude that the Linux APIs for doing
graphics and file IO are bloated and slow for whatever reason.