POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress : Re: Progress Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progress
From: scott
Date: 29 Jan 2014 03:56:35
Message: <52e8c243$1@news.povray.org>
>> I know I ran Linux (Debian Potato) on my Amiga 1200, and it was slow to
>> the point of being laughable. Meanwhile, the native OS was trippy fast -
>> faster than some of today's modern PCs, 20 years later. Then again, I
>> suspect that X11 doesn't know how to do custom trickery with the Blitter
>> chip...
>
> Perhaps we could compare Linux to AmigaOS running on a PC at
> 1920x1080 32bpp.

FWIW my pi music player runs in 1920x1080x32bpp very nicely. I put it
down to Linux trying to do far too much stuff in the background that is
unnecessary for a simple music player on a pi. But still, it's
s..l..o..w which makes the pi look bad, when really it's just that Linux
is far too bloated to run on it. Even the web browser in raspian is
sluggish even on very simple pages, whereas the RiscOS one zips along
very smoothly on exactly the same hardware and screen resolution.

I guess the guys who made raspbmc are attacking the problem by starting
with a complex OS and application designed for a modern desktop PC and
trimming it down, whereas I've started with a much simpler OS and
building up an application from scratch. I think they're doing it the
wrong way.