POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents (Message 81 to 90 of 125)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
Date: 21 Jan 2014 18:53:44
Message: <52df0888$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.01.2014 21:18, schrieb Patrick Elliott:
> On 1/21/2014 7:53 AM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> What would you call someone who has faith that there is no god?
>>
>> An atheist.
>>
> The problem hear is the term "faith". If you mean that word in the sense
> that, "I have faith that I have sufficient information to conclude that
> there isn't one.", that is one thing, since its based on evidence. If
> its, "I just have faith there isn't one..", then, that is no more
> coherent a position than the opposite one, and it suffers from the same
> problem - its too easy to switch sides, for purely irrational reasons,
> without having any more evidence, or reason, for making the switch, than
> having chosen the original position.

To me, "faith" is a great deal more than a mere hunch, and therefore
quite a way from changing sides; in my book, it is a strong conviction
that needs quite a lot of evidence to be eroded, and just one baby step
short of knowledge.

I claim that knowledge can only apply to truth, and given that I don't
know whether the [non-] existence of a God is truth, I must interpret
any statement saying "I know that God does [not] exist" as "I have faith
that God does [not] exist".

Note that theism and atheism aren't black-and-white; there's quite a
wide spectrum between the two, and it's full of people.

Post a reply to this message