POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Jan 2014 23:03:39
Message: <52e0949b$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/21/2014 4:53 PM, clipka wrote:
> Note that theism and atheism aren't black-and-white; there's quite a
> wide spectrum between the two, and it's full of people.

Umm. I think I am with others in that there "is" a wide gap between.
Gods exist, or they provisionally don't. There isn't much wiggle room in
there. Its literally the difference between, "Did someone eat the last
donut, or is it still in the box?" You can have, to some extent, varied
opinions on how likely one or the other position may be, or even about
which one "is" real, but you kind of have to be fairly well on one side
of the line or the other, in terms of "existence".

Faith, in the sense that religion uses it is like pseudoscience, or as
Shermer put it, also pseudohistory. It can change via personal belief,
political, or ideology, but its not "cumulative". Faith, as it applies
to science **implies** cumulative discovery, which changes the resulting
expectations, not by opinion, but by accumulation better understanding
of the subject.

Now, this is a bit of a problem for "god", because you can't a)
accumulate information on it, if it isn't real, and b) you can't figure
out if it is real, if no one can bloody define it in the first place.
And, the latter issue is, for me, the clincher - there are insane
numbers of "definitions", ranging from so vague you might as well be
talking about time and space itself, with, or without, intelligence
being involved, to so specific people paint portraits of them. The
former are so vague you can't derive any useful information from, while
the latter are all so specific you can debunk every one of them, based
on who made them up in the first place.

More to the point, the one extreme is not worth believing in, it would
be like having faith that "air" exists, and wants to let us breath.
I.e., both obvious, and, at the same time, incoherent. While, on the
other extreme, all the options are "unworthy" of being believed in,
being obvious fabrications of the times they where made up in.

Its kind of hard to imagine what attributes a "god" would have to have
to be some place between these extremes, and.. not be just as absurd as
both of them.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get