POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jan 2014 20:08:11
Message: <52df19fb$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:53:43 +0100, clipka wrote:

> To me, "faith" is a great deal more than a mere hunch, and therefore
> quite a way from changing sides; in my book, it is a strong conviction
> that needs quite a lot of evidence to be eroded, and just one baby step
> short of knowledge.

That seems to be a bit of an oxymoron - it's something you "know" (and I
had that discussion with Darren a couple years ago - about something in
my life that I "knew" but I couldn't prove.  Short version:  strong
belief != knowledge) and need evidence to erode it, but there's no hard
evidence needed to have it in the first place.

I had to ponder this idea that, no, I don't "know" that I would have died
if I had gone home my normal way that night.  I had a very strong belief,
based on no evidence at all.  I was spooked because of a long couple of
days at work, it was late, I was tired.  Tired enough that I was
hallucinating that my normal route home had physically changed.  Which,
of course, it hadn't.

Jim