POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Mensa: a table (Latin) (Message 81 to 90 of 140)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
Date: 16 Jan 2014 17:15:43
Message: <52d85a0f@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:29:25 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> I am in a different position as I have not applied directly to a company
> for over thirty years. Agencies are the intermediary's.
> Now, you can talk to them. It is their job to get someone in the post.
> In fact my current job was done like that only the other way around.

Yeah, I've got a couple that are looking for me.  The first one hasn't
gotten back to me in a while; the second is new.  There actually was a
third, but after the first contact, I didn't hear from them again, either.

> BTW My UAT was a disaster. The users refused to take part. After I
> explained what we were going to do and walked through the processes.
> They said that it was not what they wanted and the Head Office never
> listened to them.
> Arrg! Internal politics and egg on my face.

I hate when that happens.  Have a pint. ;)  Not of egg.

>> So I have to take my advice to Andy repeatedly - trying to find an
>> insider to walk my CV to the appropriate person so they actually*see*
>> it.
>>

> Nearly a full time job in itself.

Yep.  The outplacement agency I was offered to use have said repeatedly
that a job search is a full-time job.

>> I found a position posted a couple days ago with a well-known online
>> retailer that I'm pretty excited about - it has to do with an internal
>> certification program that's being developed, and I've got the exact
>> skill set they're looking for.  But I suspect that if I go in through
>> the front door, the right person will never even see it, so I'm mining
>> my professional network for a connection that can help (I know one
>> person at this company, which is weird considering how large they are).
>>
>> Because if I can get past that first automated screening hurdle, my
>> experience and proven track record are what they really need to see to
>> know that I'm exactly the person they're looking for.
>

> That is certainly the attitude to have. Although it does leave you open
> to disappointment if you don't succeed.
>
> Best of luck, break a leg.

Thanks.  Good news on the house, too - the "expensive" items our buyer
identified aren't actually that expensive (the sane ones, anyways - the
*insane* one - raising the radiant heating pipes into the basement
ceiling - is pricey but our plumber said not only is it unnecessary, but
prohibitively expensive and not worth the effort.  Putting them into the
ceiling would be the last choice, raising them to the ceiling or re-
routing them along the walls is what he'd recommend *if absolutely
necessary*.  But he said - just as the guy who came out to look at what
is assumed to be asbestos - you don't buy an old house and expect it not
to be built like an old house.

Our house turned 100 years old in 2012.

And we got approval for the exact apartment we wanted in Seattle.  So if
we can get the sale to come together, we're set to move next month. :D

Jim